dads 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my dad has a 98 GMC k2500 with the push button 4wd. he compains to me fairly often that its slow to go into 4wd. I know that some of these trucks had the thermal switches that took a minute but I thought that in 96 they had been updated. I keep thinking that its probably the actuator.

he says that the light just flashes a bunch and is really slow to go into 4wd. is there anything to look into or any ideas. I have a floor shifter style and dont know alot about the push button although I am sure they operate pretty similar. the actuator has a switch n the front axle and the transfer case has a switch setup too. but whats different?

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM never sold any trucks with the update actuator as far as I know, it was always a aftermarket replacement. Easy way to check is to look at the front differential infront of the passenger side axle tube. The OEM thermal actuators look like this

You must be registered for see images attach

the aftermarket electronic ones look like this

You must be registered for see images attach

Basically the factory one will have a smaller aluminum body whereas the aftermarket ones have a much larger plastic body.

So your assumption that it's the actuator is most likely correct, not much else will cause the slow engagement symptom.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
also with push button some more things to look at is vacuum line leaks or a rusted actuator cable will cause slow engagement.