cutting catalytic coverter ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sking3111

Reaction score
I have a 95 Cheyenne 2500 thinking about cutting converter to help power and sound. I ve heard so many different opinions a lot of saying check engine light coming on, loss of power and engine backfiring. just curious what u guys think> Thankyou

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been thinking and wonder about this very subject. I don't really have an opinion on it yet.

cnowalk

Geologist
Reaction score
My truck is catless with true dual exhaust and flowmasters, but the previous owner did everything so I’m not 100% on what mufflers I have. No driveability issues, but the check engine light is on. It’s a bit loud for my taste but it doesn’t sound bad, although I’ll probably get it toned down eventually.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
I had a 95 k1500. I gutted the converter. Helped tremendously with fuel consumption and power. Check engine light never came on. It shouldn't on a 95 as they are TBI and only have one O2 sensor on the driver exhaust manifold.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 95 k1500. I gutted the converter. Helped tremendously with fuel consumption and power. Check engine light never came on. It shouldn't on a 95 as they are TBI and only have one O2 sensor on the driver exhaust manifold.
How much of an improvement did you notice fuel wise?

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score

This. No downstream sensor on a 95 so no check engine light. I’ve found the gains to be minimal by gutting the cat.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
How much of an improvement did you notice fuel wise?
I'd say I gained at least 3 mpg, but mine was crumbling and was blocking the air flow. As @jkeaton said most of the time there's not a real big gain in mpg's and power. As old as the cat is there is a possibility that it's beginning to crumble. If you can get to it shine a light inside and see what it looks like. If it looks clean and you can clearly see the honeycomb, then it's probably ok. If not and it looks like it's falling apart, gut it.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say I gained at least 3 mpg, but mine was crumbling and was blocking the air flow. As @jkeaton said most of the time there's not a real big gain in mpg's and power. As old as the cat is there is a possibility that it's beginning to crumble. If you can get to it shine a light inside and see what it looks like. If it looks clean and you can clearly see the honeycomb, then it's probably ok. If not and it looks like it's falling apart, gut it.
Thanks. I will probably take it off either way. Thank God for no emissions!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
My vote is keep it. Nothing like stinky hydrocarbons flowing back into the cab or getting sucked in through the HVAC system when the wind is blowing the wrong direction. That stink permeates your clothes & sticks with you... Walker makes good highflow replacements. Where are the dyno results which support these claimed gains

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plan and simple fact, proven many a many time in many differant places...... the age old, cat no cat discussion...

If your cat is not clogged and or melted(caused by an engine issue to begin with as they do not melt or clog for no reason on their own) it will NOT hurt your mileage and or backflow and or performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk