Curious about towing heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997lly

Reaction score
So I know my gvwr is 8600 with ext cab long box and 4.10s, but it also has a 2005 duramax and 5spd Allison. What would be the biggest detriment to towing heavy?
Any and all input is appreciated

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You have a duramax in an obs?? Got any pics? We would all like to see! Your next consideration is going to have to be brakes

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a duramax in an obs?? Got any pics? We would all like to see! Your next consideration is going to have to be brakes

The whole truck is rated a system; upgrading the engine is only one piece of the puzzle that needs to be considered. I agree that the brakes will be one of the bigger limitations, but the stock springs and rear axles will be as well.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well legally you can only tow what the truck is originally rated for.

Nothing you upgrade can/will legally up that number.

But obviously things you upgrade can make your truck handle a heavier load better. But in the eyes of the law, that doesn't matter

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The whole truck is rated a system; upgrading the engine is only one piece of the puzzle that needs to be considered. I agree that the brakes will be one of the bigger limitations, but the stock springs and rear axles will be as well.
I'm well aware. The 14 FF will have no problems depending on how much tounge wieght he might want bags or AALs

1997lly

Reaction score
I'll try to get some pictures in a few minutes, and yea I am on obs obsession