Cubby hole

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I saw this on an ad for a 2000 3500 Chevy....It seems this cubby hole is in place of the passenger side airbag....Wish my truck had this instead of the airbag. Wife could put here iPad and other junk in there instead of all over the place. Is this an option or lack of one. Probably illegal to remove the airbag anyways, but just thought it was neat.

You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I saw this on an ad for a 2000 3500 Chevy....It seems this cubby hole is in place of the passenger side airbag....Wish my truck had this instead of the airbag. Wife could put here iPad and other junk in there instead of all over the place. Is this an option or lack of one. Probably illegal to remove the airbag anyways, but just thought it was neat.

8600 GVWR 2500's and up had those. Non airbag steering wheel also.

Not sure about 2500's under 8600 GVWR, but I'll wager they also have the cubby.

1500's and 'Burbs got the airbags.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be from a 2500HD (8 lug), 3500, or 3500HD from 1997-up. Note the non-airbag steering wheel, too.

1997 was first year for anything besides the useless "cupholders" on the passenger side, and under 8600 GVWR got a passenger airbag regardless of body style.

It's a bit more work than you might think to remove one in the junkyard. I found one for a friend's truck many years ago and it wasn't a self-service yard, and the yard monkeys freaking destroyed it removing it because they didn't think, "oh, it's bolted in almost just like the ones with the airbag there." ...

Richard

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I knew that 2500hds didnt have a pass air bag but I had to run out to my truck because I didnt believe that it didnt have a steering wheel airbag. sure enough no airbag. Learn something every day!

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I knew that 2500hds didnt have a pass air bag but I had to run out to my truck because I didnt believe that it didnt have a steering wheel airbag. sure enough no airbag. Learn something every day!

Those of us with extended cab 2500/3500's are also lucky enough to not have a 3rd door. Airbags I can live without, but no 3rd door can be a pain sometimes.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those of us with extended cab 2500/3500's are also lucky enough to not have a 3rd door. Airbags I can live without, but no 3rd door can be a pain sometimes.

that makes me even happier that I have 4 doors! even nnbs 2500/3500s are odd, on ext cabs the rear doors have all the components for power windows even if the the truck doesnt have power windows.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a non air bag steering wheel can be replaced by one with a airbag? My 2500 steering wheel is pretty ragged and i have a junked 1500 i planned on swapping the steering wheel to but never realized until now that the 2500 does not have air bags.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Does anyone know if a non air bag steering wheel can be replaced by one with a airbag? My 2500 steering wheel is pretty ragged and i have a junked 1500 i planned on swapping the steering wheel to but never realized until now that the 2500 does not have air bags.

Yes, it can. 88GMCtruck and I both swapped out our non-airbag ones as we had steering wheel audio controls to install. The audio controls only fit airbag wheels.

chuckk

Reaction score
ok, rehashing an old thread..
I yanked the passenger airbag out and installed the cubby hole.. Steering wheel has not been changed

what do I do about the airbag light in the cluster?

97 k2500 suburban