Crank But No Start Without Starter Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andr_burban

Reaction score
Ive got a '97 K1500 Suburban. 5.7 Vortec (L31)

Previous owner had it in a BAD front end wreck and let it sit for about a year before I got it (for free).
I have had it for 15 months. I worked on fixing the body damage during the summer of 2016. Then it sat over winter (and spring unfortunately). And I have been working on it this past few months.

The Problem:
From the get-go, it wouldn't start without starter fluid sprayed into the intake tract through the valve cover vent. Once it starts, it runs fine. I decided not to worry about it till I had the project closer to completion. Thinking that there might be a ground or other electrical component that was disconnected and that I would reconnect it as I buttoned it up.

Well, now the truck is nearly complete. I need to fix the DS headlight wiring and put the grille on and its done. Everything else is plugged in and grounds are attached. And it still doesn't want to start without starter fluid.

It has spark. And it obviously is getting air. So the only other thing I can think of is that its not getting fuel. At least not getting fuel before firing.

Does anyone have any knowledge they would be willing to share as to why that might be the case?
My thought is that there might be an issue with the fuel pump priming the fuel system. Is there a relay I could check that controls fuel priming prior to ignition?
Or something that I am not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

eyesi

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
CSFI use 60-66 psi regulated fuel pressure and range is very critical. Fuel pump delivers 100+ psi (overhead fuel pressure) . if CSFI got less than 60 psi it does not start, however it does with help (starter fluid). Vortec MPFI also use 60 psi, but starts with 20 psi. Check fuel pressure at test port. If you need further help let me know, good luck.

Andr_burban

Reaction score
Thank you for the response.
I'm renting a fuel pressure tester Saturday. I'll post the results.

I also replaced the coolant temp sensor next to the thermostat housing as well as the fuel pump relay.

The reason for the first was thinking that it wasn't getting a reading at the computer to trigger cold start enrichment. Because after it had been up to operating temp, it would sometimes start by itself.

Thanks again.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
CSFI use 60-66 psi regulated fuel pressure and range is very critical. Fuel pump delivers 100+ psi (overhead fuel pressure) . if CSFI got less than 60 psi it does not start, however it does with help (starter fluid). Vortec MPFI also use 60 psi, but starts with 20 psi. Check fuel pressure at test port. If you need further help let me know, good luck.
x2 had issues with my 97, 5.7 L31 just not as bad as yours. Low FP will do this. Pumps get weak in time, and don't put out enough FP to start the truck, but will run it once it starts.

strikk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of hunting down the same problems, low pressure during prime (key on for 2 seconds) and during crank. Did you end up replacing the pump?

CoolDude1975

Reaction score
My 99 Yukon died soon after starting the other day and now won't restart it just keeps cranking over. I've never had any fuel problems with it and when it died it sound like it ran out of gas. But I have had some problems with the distributor in the past which threw me for some loops. Any suggestions on what I should do?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do a duel pressure test. At least youll know what you have. Over 60 PSI pre start, anything any less is a fail.

Andr_burban

Reaction score
My 99 Yukon died soon after starting the other day and now won't restart it just keeps cranking over. I've never had any fuel problems with it and when it died it sound like it ran out of gas. But I have had some problems with the distributor in the past which threw me for some loops. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Yeah. Renting a fuel pressure tester is an easy and quick way to rule out the pump.