Cracked tow hitch receiver

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 98xcab3/4sbed, Dec 21, 2016.

1. 98xcab3/4sbed

98xcab3/4sbed Newbie

just wanted to post this picture for others to see what to look out for. Just had my 28 ft toy hauler hooked up to this a month ago. I inspect this before every tow and was fine before I hooked it up. Stock hitch from a 98 2500 67456C53-D281-4D7A-89AC-9941BA9CE644_zpsvjcnuq4w.jpg
    5524761D-60CC-44BA-B18F-92D7D2D1F035_zpstqx0ezzr.jpg

Brother Al and michael hurd like this.
  2. Bob L

Bob L I'm Awesome

I would keep an eye on it but it doesn't look like it is moving or opening up. If it looks like it is getting worse I would take it of and have it welded. In New England an 18 year old hitch would be rusted to death by now.

3. magimerlin

magimerlin I'm Awesome

I would drill a hole at the end then weld it all back up....

sent from what use to be a great country...

drewcrew, Jorge6.5 and 95C1500 like this.
  4. michael hurd

michael hurd Stalker be gone.

Personally I would replace it.

If welded properly, it will be fine, however try explaining that to a law enforcement officer.

Not worth the possible issues in the future if you repair it.

5. 98xcab3/4sbed

98xcab3/4sbed Newbie

Up date!!!!! Strong repair!!! FD2CBA78-556F-4BC1-A520-68ECC1479CD1_zpsqemwuf1t.jpg
    Lol. Going to be replaced. Not worth risking my truck trailer and life!!! Just wanted to make sure everyone is checking there s%$t!!!!!

6. Bob L

Bob L I'm Awesome

7. L29Sub

L29Sub Newbie

Never seen one crack like that. Seen several rust completely thru in the center of the tube.
    The factory hitch must not fail too often--I have a nice factory hitch pulled from a 97 K2500 and listed it on Craigslist for $50 bucks. Zilch response. Same with an NP243.
    Plan to go look at my hitch..the pics done 'scairt me!
    Will K2500 hitch fit any pickups?

8. Black_cirrus

Black_cirrus I'm Awesome

So I've read on here that suv hitch's fit pickups with body lifts. I've thought about replacing mine due to rust. And Curt makes a hitch rated at 12k

9. kennythewelder

kennythewelder I'm Awesome

Tongue weight caused that. The bouncing up and down while hitting bumps driving down the high way puts stress on that joint tearing it like that. To repair it, you need to cut all of the crack out and just a little bit more. I know it is a pain, but removing the hitch will make the repair much easier to do. Once the crack is cut out, ( a small thin cut off wheel is ideal for this) it is best to put a V grove bevel in then cut line so that the weld has a wide base to add hear to. then just weld up the cut V grove. Then install a plate over that area and weld it in place for extra support. Here is a video on beveling. Keep in mind that what you want is to fill the crack with weld, and when you cut out all of the crack, you will have a gap in the metal where the crack was. This grove should be 3/32 of and inch wide, or about as big as a nickle turned on its side.

10. Biggershaft96

Biggershaft96 Resident 4l60e killer

Factory hitches just dont seem like they stand the test of time very well. Many moons ago the weld that holds the tube to the part that mounts to the frame broke so i ground out as much as i could of the old weld and re welded it. A couple months later the other side did the same so i just got a new one.