Cracked stock exhaust manifolds (maybe)... replace w/ shorty headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
Roger... I went to another Exhaust shop, I heard about yesterday... It took 15 seconds for them to confirm the leak is only the doughnut. So, a cheap fix ( I will have both replaced)...
Since they are honest, I will then work on a dual exhaust , w/both exhaust tips coming out the right rear... with a cat & an 'H' pipe. I won't do headers, since the manifold is OK.

mountie

Reaction score
I had the exhaust flange doughnuts replaced, and there is STILL a leak. It must be near the area.

Is there a better version of an OEM exhaust manifold? My stock 5.7 won't appreciate headers that much, but wondering if I replace, if someone has a better one that flows better but has the SAME room for spark plugs, smog, etc?? ( I read the issues of installing headers)
( 1988 C2500 5.7 2wd)
If not, OEM should be fine.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Long tubes will be at least 2x more expensive than shorties
"Typically" shorties are better at lower RPM and longs are better at higher RPM; so for a daily driver probably shorties.

I don't know where you heard this, but it's dead wrong. How does a short runner intake act compared to long runner?

mountie

Reaction score
I fixed the exhaust leak.... 1st thought it was the flange doughnut.... Replaced, but still a noise....

Worried it was the passenger side manifold..... But, with a real bright flashlight, I found the leak!!

Loose hose clamp on a rubber connector, - slipped off the end of the AIR INJECTION PIPE. ... Located rear passenger side, before it runs behind engine ( to driver side.)

I will now just get a new cat back system, when I'm in the mood...... But no leaks. Goody.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Like another said, get rid of that junky Y pipe. When my exhaust fails, that's whats going to happen. Also, I'm not sure if people approve of this method but when I had my engine swapped out they could not get the driver's side exhaust manifold to stop leaking. Took two gaskets to fix it. Seems like a band-aid to me but the leak is gone and hasn't returned.