Cost of full brake job in Rockville, MD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFBud1998

Reaction score
Government has me stationed up here away from everything I'm used to and no access to all my tools. My 1998 Silverado 4x4 needs the brakes redone - progressively getting spongier and increasing in braking distance. Any idea what Pep Boys or Meneike or Midas charges to redo all 4 corners? I figure I'll need pads, shoes, rear adjusted, and fluid bled, maybe changed. Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pep Boys or Meneike or Midas

For what it's worth, I would steer clear of all of those places. Big chain lube places like that are notorious for doing shoddy work. I would find an independent shop with good reviews in your area. And make sure they have a GM Tech-2 or comparable scan tool that can actuate the ABS module on command, otherwise they'll never bleed all the air out of the system.

To answer your question, you're probably looking at $300 or so. At least around here in Missouri.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the pedal is getting spongy you have a hydraulic problem. Changing pads shoes and adjusting will not cure that. You may have a master going bad or a small leak. Are you loosing any fluid? If so are the inside of any of the tires looking wet or shiney?
Worn brake shoes and pads do not put air in the system. You need to have the problem diagnosed before throwing parts at it. The chain stores will replace everything till they get it right at your cost. Find a real tech.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also you don't say where you are but if you are in the rust belt you don't want cheap pads or shoes. The backing metal will rust and the the pads and linings can actually come off before they wear out. I only use brake parts with quality coatings on the metal parts. Wagner Thermo Quiets are the best in my book. My brake customers get those or they go elsewhere.

AFBud1998

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. No leaks and the fluid level hasn't changed in 2 years. I'm thinking the back brakes just aren't self adjusting anymore. Had a 1992 Silverado that did the same thing. I hate I don't have the tools and space to fix it myself. Will look into somewhere local though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hate I don't have the tools and space to fix it myself.

Don't feel bad, hardly anyone does have the necessary tools to work on these themselves. Like I said earlier, you need a GM Tech 2 or equivalent scanner just to bleed the ABS properly. If you don't have that, you're reduced to putting it on jack stands and slamming on the brakes while the wheels are moving multiple times. And HOPING that it gets all the air out.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, hardly anyone does have the necessary tools to work on these themselves. Like I said earlier, you need a GM Tech 2 or equivalent scanner just to bleed the ABS properly. If you don't have that, you're reduced to putting it on jack stands and slamming on the brakes while the wheels are moving multiple times. And HOPING that it gets all the air out.

Or a gravel road. Plenty of those in Missouri!

Shinyrust

Reaction score
If you were at Ft Meade then you could go to the Ft Meade auto clinic. They are OK, and fair prices.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greaves Auto in Olney MD isn't too far from you. Had good luck there. Family business too. Dealing with the owner, Paul, always resulted in great customer service. Prices are average for the area. You could save a buck or two by getting all the parts from rockauto and finding a mechanic that's willing to install customer parts. You'll forfeit any parts warranty but for me that made as much as 50% difference in my bill considering how much they mark up parts. definitely stay away from chain stores. Crappy mechanics and Sub standard parts.