Coolant noise inside cab, need help

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Old Blue, Nov 30, 2017.

1. RustyTruck

RustyTruck Newbie

Huh...I've had that gurgling noise for over a year. Never really thought about it much. Figured it was my engine just gettin' a drink!

I will have to try getting out some air.

2. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

If you've had it that long, you have a leak.

My last GMT400 did this for about a year, before one day I finally noticed a little trickle down the front of one of the heads. Intake gaskets were toast.

Richard

3. Old Blue

Old Blue Newbie

Update: I let the truck run for two hours yesterday with it jacked up, the radiator cap off, and the heat on high. I thought I had all the air purged out because it went for 10 minutes or so without purging anymore. Then today I drove it and still heard the coolant sloshing around. I still have heat, so the heater core should still be ok right? I'm just not sure what else to try.

4. Old Blue

Old Blue Newbie

What did you remove to get the air out?

5. 90halfton

90halfton I'm Awesome

Water temp sensor. If I change out thermostat I just fill system til full to thermostat, then drop it in and bolt down housing. If I drain the system for anything I change the thermostat. It's like 10 bucks, why not. Not everybody agrees with that logic, to each their own.

XJPhoenix likes this.
  6. Old Blue

Old Blue Newbie

Ok, thanks guys! Tomorrow is the first time I'll be able to work on it since I last wrote on here.
    90halfton, let me make sure I fully understand this. I need to drain the antifreeze down to just below the thermostat, right? Then I remove the temp sensor to let the air out, right? I'm planning on putting a new thermostat in also.

7. 90halfton

90halfton I'm Awesome

8. DerekTheGreat

DerekTheGreat I'm Awesome

Did you try goosing the throttle a bit while it was all jacked up? Maybe the extra flow might help push the air out. Mine still sloshes around too, less and less each week but I'll be flushing the system again in the spring so I'm not planning on doing anything about it until then.

9. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

No big tricks needed to bleed air out of these trucks. There are some vehicles that are much more difficult because of the placement of the cap. GMT400's do not suffer this way. As I had said earlier park it on an incline, run it with the cap off, let it burp.

If you're replacing your thermostat, drill a small hole in the flat area of it - like 3/32", just be sure you're getting it inboard of the gasket area, especially on the later style which uses the split o-ring style gasket that fits around the thermostat itself. Some thermostats have a little check valve built into them in this area; doesn't hurt to make your own bleed hole either way.

I will maintain that if after reasonable efforts to bleed, you continue to have gurgling sounds out of your cooling system then you have some type of leak, somewhere, that must be addressed. Hose not sealing properly, leak at the notorious heater hose quick connect fitting, heater core leak, intake gasket leak, etc.

Richard

10. Old Blue

Old Blue Newbie

I just find it very odd (and coincidental) that it started making this noise after I replaced the radiator. It never did it before.