Converting tbi to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up. Thats why i havent made a purchase yet. We are doing alot of research to see whats possible.

Danz

Reaction score
I think the weak points are the valve springs on center bolt heads. They are to soft for bumpy cams and might float.

beast94

Reaction score
If. I'm not mistaking the centerbolt heads can only handle up to like a 470 lift cam without hitting

.470 sounds about right, but you have to remember that you need a safety margin of about .050 from the retainer to valve stem seal. That will then limit you to .455 lift. If you looking for a good power boost with out breaking the bank on gas and extra modifications. I would look for a cam around 205/212 duration @.050 lift with about .430 Intake lift, .445 Exhaust lift. Also, as Danz mentioned, you will want to upgrade your springs to a slightly stiffer spring. Your stock springs are 1.25 inch diameter with a 80 lb seat and about 220 lbs open pressure. A spring with the same diameter and 90-100 lb seat pressure and about 280 lb open pressure will be more than adequate with out wiping out your fresh cam. And remember to lube up your cam really good with a break in lube and ensure you use new lifters as well. You cannot reuse flat tappet lifters.

Last edited:

beast94

Reaction score
You can find a very similar cam from places like Summitracing.com or Jegs.com. Comp Cams, Lunati, Crower, and Howards all make great cams. Oh and make sure you use a quality break in lube like a Moly based one. When you choose your cam, order similar springs to the ones that they recommend if the recommended ones are not offered in 1.25" diameter.