COMPLETE front end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you guys all jump in and assume they are pressed in, some are not. the uppers don't and some lowers don't, at least 4wd's anyways. Mine all bolt in.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yeah lowers aren't pressed in in 4WD's, but if they haven't ever been replaced, they aren't bolt in either. They are some major rivets that are a complete PITA!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah lowers aren't pressed in in 4WD's, but if they haven't ever been replaced, they aren't bolt in either. They are some major rivets that are a complete PITA!

It also depends on years. My 94 lowers are rivited my 97 lowers are pressed in

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
When it comes to those rivets....boy oh boy....drill drill drill....chisel chisel chisel until head pops off....then drill drill drill until either you're all the way thru, or as I found out, with a hole punch and a hammer, you can knock them out the bottom then use your drill to clean up around the hole.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Rent a ball joint press from the parts store? :Stupid Me:

LOL....well, when I went to get the parts, I wasn't offered any tools to do it(they always ask if i need this or that kit to help with install of w/e I'm doing), so I didn't think to ask them about tools. By the time I needed them for passenger side, it was like 3am sunday(store closed), and I had to have truck finished and ready to move by monday(store isn't open on sunday)....had to use jack. But i WILL ask them tomorrow about a press, thanks pauly #2.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
borrowed my neighbors and sat in his driveway for a few minutes to get the bottoms off, my hub not was way past double what it was suppose to be so i had to replace bearings and the knuckle too

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The time has come to start replacing front end parts. I've noticed some slop in the front end and plan on doing a complete front end rebuild. The majority of things are original to the truck or is/has started to dry rot from lack of maintenance before I got the truck. This is what I have so far:

Ball joints (upper/lower)
Tie rods (inner/outer)
Control arm bushings
Stabilizer arm links
Pitman arm
Idler arm
Cherokee shaft mod
Steering box (depending on how much the shaft cleans up the slop)

I've also thought about replacing the half shafts as well. Basically, I don't want to do anything else to the front end for as long as I have the truck. So, I might as well do everything at once and be done with it.

Thoughts?

Not sure if the 4x4 are the same as the 2x4 but if you have the lower arms off Id do the motor mounts also.