COMPLETE front end rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
The time has come to start replacing front end parts. I've noticed some slop in the front end and plan on doing a complete front end rebuild. The majority of things are original to the truck or is/has started to dry rot from lack of maintenance before I got the truck. This is what I have so far:

Ball joints (upper/lower)
Tie rods (inner/outer)
Control arm bushings
Stabilizer arm links
Pitman arm
Idler arm
Cherokee shaft mod
Steering box (depending on how much the shaft cleans up the slop)

I've also thought about replacing the half shafts as well. Basically, I don't want to do anything else to the front end for as long as I have the truck. So, I might as well do everything at once and be done with it.

Thoughts?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Have fun...honestly, I'd pay someone $300 to do my ball joints (in labor) if I had it all to do over again...and I had good tools and no rust.

Don't forget sway bar end-links, and when you are doing them jack the LCA's up and down to help you get them on.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Have fun...honestly, I'd pay someone $300 to do my ball joints (in labor) if I had it all to do over again...and I had good tools and no rust.

Don't forget sway bar end-links, and when you are doing them jack the LCA's up and down to help you get them on.

Yeah, ball joints are a huge PITA and I had to take out the sway bar end link to replace my half shaft and it took forever to get back in until I tried jacking up the LCA

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm dreading doing it. I've got access to a full shop with every tool imaginable and a lift as well. So I'm not forgetting anything am I?

BTW - You're truck looks great with the lift on!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Whats this whole list worth doing? i know my truck is almost at its time ...

Just did my upper and lower ball joints($125 for parts), spindles($250/pair), hub/rotor assemblies($125/pair), and the full bearing assemblies(bearings, seals, and spindle nut kits) for $100. lower ball joints are a **** to reinstall!!!

Also, since you have a 90 model rcsb, I'd personally upgrade to the HD brake assembly unless you already have. It's the spindles, bearings, hubs/rotors, calipers that came stock on the extended cab models.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
I just did all moog ball joints, new tie rods, center link, pitman, idler and upper and lower control arm bushings. If i ha to do it again someone would be paid to do the bushings. They are a BI***

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would do new tie rod adjuster sleeves, makes it easier, remove both ends and sleeves together, measure their length or lay them next to the new ones, make the new ones the same length and it gets you alignment pretty close, then you go get it aligned to be perfect.

Also maybe the center link, they can wear but not usually too bad or common I guess to see.

I would also say shocks and brakes.