Combined weight rating of K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm having trouble with something. My FIL is considering purchasing a camping trailer, that he would let us use from time to time. He has a 2010 F-150 that apparently has a tow rating around 10,000lb (9800 or 11,300 depending on which rear end it has), but per our owner's manual with 3.42 gears we have a 5,000lb rating. Our 99 Suburban has the extra heavy duty tow package, engine and trans oil coolers, but unfortunately 3.42 axle ratio.

I'm a little mystified at GM's claim of a 5,000lb towing capacity because I've never seen it listed as such. I know some (like Ford) will give you a nominal tow rating, but it is always stated that the actual tow rating is GCWR - total vehicle weight. I've got a CDL and used to work as a test engineer for a Class-8 truck OEM, so this stuff is my bread & butter.

How can they state a "tow rating" without having a GCWR?

Now to the fun stuff... If I swap to 3.73 gears that ups the tow rating by 1,000 lb. Legally that doesn't mean anything since it always goes off GCWR on the sticker, or a key on the sticker that tells you how to look it up in the manual. But GM doesn't seem to have GCWR published anywhere, and the door sticker doesn't have an axle code on it.

In order to find the OEM axle ratio you have to do a VIN search, and get a build sheet (which I've done, and it's on the window sticker which I have)

Is this a legal loophole since tag doesn't actually mention GCWR or axle code?

I doubt a Suburban towing a ~20' camper would get much attention, but as a Class-A CDL holder the "sorry officer I have no idea what you're talking about" excuse would probably get me into more trouble...

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Because on little trucks, tow ratings are really a performance rating. A little trucks GCWR is usually max weight + max tow. Otherwise you put 6 200 lb people in that Burb and you have no tow rating left lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Because on little trucks, tow ratings are really a performance rating. A little trucks GCWR is usually max weight + max tow. Otherwise you put 6 200 lb people in that Burb and you have no tow rating left lol.
I'm not sure what you mean by "little trucks" or what that spec sheet is supposed to indicate?

K1500 Suburban is still based on a full size truck.

If it's GVWR+tow rating that puts it at a 12,300 lb GCWR, but it's unusual to be loaded to gvwr and towing a trailer.

Here's the list for 2016 Yukon/XL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk