Cluster twitches bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And yes, it would be in the dash somewhere. Possibly behind the radio, might have to follow the harness and see where the black wires run
I'll do some digging and see what I can find. I'm not great with electrical stuff, how would I check grounds? I mean I assume check for corrosion and all that but is it any more complicated than that? And I don't know if this makes a difference but it wigs out whenever I flip the blinkers or windows while the AC is on. It almost tries to jump back to the accurate reading when I do but quickly pegs out of the AC is still on

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Basically just loosen the screw and take a wire brush or something and clean up around where the ground touches the body and tighten it back up.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Basically just loosen the screw and take a wire brush or something and clean up around where the ground touches the body and tighten it back up.
Alright thank you. It's such an odd ball problem. Did you check that video out? None of the gauges even budge, just rpm and speedo.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think this stems farther than a bad ground. Haven't used my truck in about 36 hours and went to crank it and turned the key all my LEDs flickered, turn on the parking lights to check any gauges and the radio came on and went off when I did that and the sound of the fuel pump went from its normal noise to a much quieter hum. It lagged for about 2-3 seconds before it started when it's usually instant. Alternator?

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to continue this forum and document everything incase this happens to anyone else which surely it has. Battery checked low today but alternator was perfect. Going to look for grounds and if that doesn't work I'll try to find a used cluster to rule that possibility out.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do computer repairs, but lately I have done repairs on G.M. dash clusters. More specifically, replacing the stepper motors in them. All customers report the same thing, that the gauges "Go nuts and the needles swing wildly back and forth". Not a huge job once the cluster is out. Very common problem.