Cluster twitches bad

Discussion in 'Audio + Electronics' started by 1500z71, Jun 13, 2016.

1. 1500z71

1500z71 I'm Awesome

I'll do some digging and see what I can find. I'm not great with electrical stuff, how would I check grounds? I mean I assume check for corrosion and all that but is it any more complicated than that? And I don't know if this makes a difference but it wigs out whenever I flip the blinkers or windows while the AC is on. It almost tries to jump back to the accurate reading when I do but quickly pegs out of the AC is still on

2. Justin S

Justin S Truck Hoarder

Basically just loosen the screw and take a wire brush or something and clean up around where the ground touches the body and tighten it back up.

3. 1500z71

1500z71 I'm Awesome

Alright thank you. It's such an odd ball problem. Did you check that video out? None of the gauges even budge, just rpm and speedo.

4. 1500z71

1500z71 I'm Awesome

I'm beginning to think this stems farther than a bad ground. Haven't used my truck in about 36 hours and went to crank it and turned the key all my LEDs flickered, turn on the parking lights to check any gauges and the radio came on and went off when I did that and the sound of the fuel pump went from its normal noise to a much quieter hum. It lagged for about 2-3 seconds before it started when it's usually instant. Alternator?

5. 1500z71

1500z71 I'm Awesome

I guess I'm going to continue this forum and document everything incase this happens to anyone else which surely it has. Battery checked low today but alternator was perfect. Going to look for grounds and if that doesn't work I'll try to find a used cluster to rule that possibility out.

6. Beefy k1500

Beefy k1500 Newbie

Have this same issue. Ever figure it out?

7. OlSmokie

OlSmokie OBS Enthusiast

I do computer repairs, but lately I have done repairs on G.M. dash clusters. More specifically, replacing the stepper motors in them. All customers report the same thing, that the gauges "Go nuts and the needles swing wildly back and forth". Not a huge job once the cluster is out. Very common problem.