Changing out the Transfer Case Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.rsgear.com/technical/diagrams/ep-diagrams/new-process-243-transfer-case.aspx

:Frustrated: It looks like the same diagram (albeit more grainy) but this one lists that assembly as a a range sleeve, but I think they're refering ot the gear and not the item behind it.

In this 241 diagram the internals are the same and the clutch is also not listed.

You must be registered for see images attach

The only full opened 241 picture I have. I had the planetary apart to change the input out and I know there wasn't a clutch in there.:hmm:

Odd, I'm perplexed. I'm thinking parts manufacturers on the majority are not recognizing a possible difference in the 243 from the 241 when listing parts. Good info.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I like that sight tube idea. You could add a tee at the top with a cap and use to fill with less mess.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this? Site tube?

Indeed. Got tired of dropping the skid plate to check the fluid level and condition.

I like that sight tube idea. You could add a tee at the top with a cap and use to fill with less mess.

Pretty tight vertically under there as is. Just popping the plug off (they're swivel fittings) and filling with a siphon pump seems to work decently.

will85iroc

Reaction score
can someone post a pic of the drain plug location and the refill location? thnx

will85iroc

Reaction score
looking from the rear of truck i see two hex bolts about 5-6 inches apart.... could those be em'??

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
looking from the rear of truck i see two hex bolts about 5-6 inches apart.... could those be em'??

The lower one is your drain, the upper is your fill.

When you put those bolts back in, use a torque wrench. Your tcase is aluminum IIRC and you can crack it if your over-torque.

What fluid did you end up purchasing??

If you do have the np246 (AWD pushbutton), you must have Auto Trak II fluid...if one of your buttons doesn't say AWD (different from 4 hi/lo, I'm pretty sure you don't have the 246.

Let us know.

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
Which one could be my fill plug?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Which one could be my fill plug?

It appears to me that someone replaced both the fill and drain plugs with hex bolts. They came with Allen head bolts from factory. The top hex bolt is your fill.

Sent from my DEERE powered Droid