Changing a cam shaft???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton Sauer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1991 Gmc c2500 with a 5.0L 305. It is a 5 speed manual I am looking to put a cam in it leaning twards a cam that gives me some more torque. Comp sounds good but I dont know much about the engine is it hydrolic or mechanical? What all do i need to change? What should i change. I want to do it right and get the most out of it I can. I also kinda like it to sound nice when its idling.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Id save your money and find a 350 to cam and drop in. Camming a stock 305 is like painting racing stripes on a turtle. Find a 96+ vortec 350, throw a 395 marine cam in it and drop it in.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That sound is created by overlap, larger duration cams usually have more overlap which kills low end torque. That being said, picking a cam by sound is not the way to go and sometimes the best torque producing cam for the job is the one already in there. It's very easy to overcam a 305 and kill the down low torque numbers.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your motor is hydraulic flat tappet cam. You should change the cam and lifter along with timing chain.
now depending on the milage you may want to change the valve springs.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A good torque cam for you truck would be one from a 454, and leave the rest of the motor around it and then install it. Was kind of a joke, sort of. Would yield much better results than camming a 305. Find a good used bb in a donor truck and it would probably be more cost effective as well. Can't believe they even put a 305 in a 2500. Was barely enough motor for a car. The 350 isn't exactly a driveshaft snapper either. At least you've got a 5speed though, that'll help quite a bit.