Cat size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1 7/8"

I remember when i got my exhaust installed i had 2.5" cats and they had to put a ton of weld on the front of them and then i had 2.5" pipes from the outlets to the rest of the way back

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
There's 2 different styles that come on the 5.7 Vortec, there's an AC one and another one, I talked to a guy on Craigslist, who's a buyer of Catalytic converters, he offers $50.00 for the AC ones (They say AC right on the bottom of them) and the other ones he offers $100.00 for, I believe some of the Yukons and maybe the 99.5's had the more expensive cats on them. So I said all of that in regards to how there is 2 different style of Cats they put on these trucks, and depending on what you have Jason, the diameter could be different.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the diameter different between the AC and non-AC?

He's buying them for the precious metals inside, right, so he buys them whether they're in good working order or not?

I took a quick look at mine, but I can't get under far enough to see which I have. I'll have to jack it up this weekend and take a peek.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Is the diameter different between the AC and non-AC?

He's buying them for the precious metals inside, right, so he buys them whether they're in good working order or not?

I took a quick look at mine, but I can't get under far enough to see which I have. I'll have to jack it up this weekend and take a peek.

I can give you the guys number if you want to talk to him, I'm sure he knows everything there is about cats for that year truck, he told me he has a 98' Chevy (or GMC I cant remember) Truck with 5.7. He and another guy buy them and recycle them. But to answer your second question he said if the honey comb is completely damaged he won't give as much for the cat, but you would probably know if your cats are bad from the rattle, or the Engine light throwing a code.

I'd have to say the diameters are the same for both cats, since the pipes coming off the engine are like 1 7/8ths probably 2" actually, ts96, did you measure ID or OD?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're not rattling, but both rear O2 sensors are throwing codes, so I'm figuring they're ready to be replaced. That's why I'm asking about the diameters, so I can know what to look for from Summit.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
They're not rattling, but both rear O2 sensors are throwing codes, so I'm figuring they're ready to be replaced. That's why I'm asking about the diameters, so I can know what to look for from Summit.

I'd go with 2" diameter, I'd rather be 1/8th to large than 1/8th to small, most people will tell you "ahh hell, just cut them off" but if it's not intended to be loud, then I'd put some magnaflow high flow cats on, although I heard even them can throw a code.

Also did you scan the codes to see if it was just a bad o2?