CAT Failed..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so I had my cat failed or more like it turned into a giant plug.. Cut it out and well now I got straight pipe hell that's a lot louder than I thought it'd be... (truck is happy though cause it runs way better now..)

So the question is as anyone used High Flow cats on these trucks? I got a 97 c3500 with 7.4. I have an cat back exhaust so I have to buy and weld in the new cats...

I was looking at these.. but not sure if they will work. (I'll make the computer happy I'm more worried about high flow.)

https://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-2...&qid=1493608570&sr=8-2&keywords=High+Flow+cat

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're worried about it you could always just fork over the cash for the Magnaflow direct fit intermediate pipes with cats. I used the V6 Y-pipe from them on my red truck, it's a much nicer piece than the factory intermediate pipe. Just checked their website and they make direct fit cats for the 454 trucks.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long have you had it? I'm afraid one of these are like only going to last 500 miles or something stupid.

Actually only been a week. The exhaust isn't nearly as stinky. Have to rack up more miles to see how they hold up for the long run

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I went with the Flowmasters CATS. Waiting on the muffler to come in now but after ordering a 2.5 cat and muffler I received a 2.25 muffler and a 3inch cat. Is the exhaust shop gonna give me a headache for this? ( should I send this back? I don't really mind if its not that big of a deal)

On the performance side will this be an issue?

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 3" cat will be easy to deal with I wouldn't put a 2 1/4" muffler on any V8 though needs to be 2 1/2" but since you have 3" cats I'd put it in all 3" on a 7.4. I think The 2 1/4 muffler would be performance restrictive with the 7.4.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the muffler was for a big block atleast flowmaster says it is. (Flow masters 50 series ) with 2 2.25 inlet and a single 3" out. That's the only reason why I ask cause it seems fine its not like I'm Y piping to a 2.25. I already run 2 pipes all the way down to the muffler.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Two 2 1/4 makes more sense, it's ok as long as your not after max output. I couldn't tell you did the dual in single out. So I still wouldn't do it but I wouldn't hold it against you for it.