Cat AFTER muffler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
My burb has the cat after the muffler as well and a single wire o2 sensor.Also,the cat has to have a stamp or embossed note on it that it complies with Ca. emissions so no universal cats here.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They make universal CARB-compliant cats. They're about $100 from Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Walker, etc.

Mike

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that little sh!tbox four-poppers have the catalytic converter integral with the exhaust manifold.

I'm suspecting that moving the cat downstream behind the muffler may be to protect it from OVER-heating due to a bigass engine that (potentially) would be running with it's tongue hanging out.

You guys want weird? 1975 Ford LTD 400 2V. There's a catalyst near the right side exhaust manifold. The Y-pipe from the left side joins the right side AFTER the catalyst. Yes, you heard that right: One cylinder bank exhausts through the catalyst, the other side doesn't.