carb swap flooding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sketchy90z71

Reaction score
Just got my truck back together with a rebuilt 355 and a Holley 650 using the stock pump. I have a 4.5-9psi regulator on there which is almost completely loosened and when I start the truck after about 30 seconds fuel will just start steadily dripping from the secondary boosters at idle. After you drive about 15 minutes the engine will stall unless you keep it alive with the pedal(hard to do when you shift your own gears) and its very hard to start again. Fuel also drips down the secondary throttle shaft onto the intake with the engine off. Is my carb bad or do I still have too much fuel pressure? I had assumed about 5 psi was low enough but it keeps flooding and I'm stumped

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are you running a bypass-type regulator so that it can return excess fuel via the stock return line? If not, that's where you need to go. I've never seen anyone have much success with a deadhead style regulator on the stock pump.

Richard

sketchy90z71

Reaction score
It is a bypass regulator so I don't burn out the pump haha. Problem solved, the float was stuck open, glad it was something simple