Car Gauge Pro can read CMP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldnt get the car gage pro it to read my ECM. connected to scanner fine but not the ecm. maybe because I had mine custom tuned?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On CarGauge Pro, you have to make a gauge for the PID for CMP retard. It should have an option to create a gauge, then you'll select the PID from a drop down menu. Also select the gauge range (-20 to 20 should do) and, I think, it has an option to select a duplicate digital readout.

Add a second gauge for the rpm so you can track the CMP offset at around 1100-rpm. I think there's an option to move the gauges around on the screen so you can read both simultaneously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chilakas

Reaction score
Which CMP retard did you use...cmp retard * or cmp retard **?

I get different values for both and see that DashCommand also has two choices but doesn't use the asterisk.

Just wondering if anybody ever answered your question about * or ** pid to use? I have looked everywhere and can't find the answer. Looking at the picture you posted here it looks like it would be cam ** since it's the closest to the the other reading from the other app. But just wondering if you ever got the answer on this?
CarGauge Pro:

You must be registered for see images attach

DashCommand

The two PIDs for DashCommand appear to be the same and match the two asterisk PID for CarGauge Pro. I'm not sure what the difference is, though.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, I never did figure out which one was correct. I saw some post on an S10 forum where someone speculated that the difference may have had something to do with the 4.3 vs 5.0/5.7, but I never saw a definitive answer.

I emailed both of the app manufacturers a while back and asked about the discrepancy. I received no response from either one. I just sent CarGauge another one and will post if I hear back.

Mine ended up within tolerance (-2 to +2) for both * and ** values, so I left it alone. Since it matched the DashCommand, I would guess that the two asterisk is the one to go with.

Someone else here had comparable results and went with the ** reading.

Last edited:

chilakas

Reaction score
No, I never did figure out which one was correct. I saw some post on an S10 forum where someone speculated that the difference may have had something to do with the 4.3 vs 5.0/5.7, but I never saw a definitive answer.

I emailed both of the app manufacturers a while back and asked about the discrepancy. I received no response from either one. I just sent CarGauge another one and will post if I hear back.

Mine ended up within tolerance (-2 to +2) for both * and ** values, so I left it alone. Since it matched the DashCommand, I would guess that the two asterisk is the one to go with.

Someone else here had comparable results and went with the ** reading.

Thanks for replying. Yeah it definitely seems like it would be the **. I'm going to use that one and see how it goes. I also am going to look for a good running vortec and see which pid reads within spec, and post my findings to help people outv with this dilemma.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the response that I received from CarGaugePro when I asked about the one vs. two asterisk PID. I'm not really sure what it means.

Hi,

There are 2 different equations for that Cam Retard Pid identified by asterisk.

Choose the one near 0 degree, assuming your vehicle timing is not affected or adjusted from repairs.

Regards,

Issac Zia

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
CarGauge responded again with a clarification. It's still not clear to me what the difference is.

Their response:

If CAM Retard value has been recently adjusted close to zero degree or never been tampered, then choose the single *. Single and double asterisk equations varies by 1 degree difference. Should be ok within the specs allowed on either one you choose. Single asterisk is the most common one used for most models.

Last edited:

SilverSteve

Reaction score
I just bought this app and It says "No Pids supported" whenever I try it, I have a 97, and am not sure if it has a tune or not. What could I be doing wrong?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure, what brand of OBD connector are you using?

I originally used a $120 Palmer Performance adapter that was supposed to work with both iOS and Android. It wouldn't work with iOS DashCommand, Android DashCommand or Android CarGaugePro.

A $30 BAFX 34t5 adapter worked perfectly fine with Android DashCommand and CarGaugePro.

Not sure if it will help, but here's how I did my 98 with CarGaugePro. This was using a cheapo RCA android tablet that was on sale at Walmart for $30.

On the home screen hit connect...

Select GM...

Select powertrain...

And full auto scan...

Select "10" even though it's already selected...

It will scan for a minute or two...

Then type in a name to save it...

Back to the home screen, it should show that it's connected. Click on dashboard...

Touch and hold the middle of the screen and three bars will pull down from the top right.

Hit the bars and select "add gauge"...

And a blank gauge will pop up.

Select available PIDs...

And select CMP Retard one or two asterisk. Why there are two seems to be a mystery. Select the "digital" check box and hit the "add" button to create the gauge. Hit the back button to close out the dialog box.

Repeat, adding gauges for the two asterisk CMP and also one for rpm from the PID pulldown menu.

You'll have three overlapping gauges. Press and hold down on the screen for a pop up option box where you can move the gauges, select display ranges and rename them.

Run it up to about 1100-rpm and see where you're at.

DashCommand is a lot more user friendly, but this works just as well.

Last edited: