Canuck Motorsports, An Ongoing Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
So I recently purchased my drop kit from Canuck Motorsports and wanted to post this to see how other people's experience with this company were. I should start off by saying this isn't a post bashing the company, as their customer service has been extremely helpful and responsive throughout this ordeal.

So, I purchased the kit on April 4th to the tune of $437.95 with shipping and tax included. The kit was a 3" drop spring set, 4" drop shackles/hangers setup and a set of shocks all around. It was end of day so I wasn't expecting much activity on the parts. The next morning, CMS contacted me and asked if my truck was a V6 or V8 due to purchasing drop springs. After replying, CMS told me that "the order has been shipped via UPS through our supplier (Max Trac)." Now, I've heard some pretty bad things about MaxTrac, most of which is that their product is a fitment nightmare. I didn't see anything on Canuck's website about MaxTrac being the supplier, so this was a surprise. On their website, this is the picture of the drop kit.
You must be registered for see images attach

So I was expecting red springs, black shackles/hangers, and Doetsch shocks (which I've been told that Doetsch's product is top of the line) so I was pretty pumped to get everything. The package was delivered on April 10th (great turnaround time), but I wasn't able to get to the package until Friday since I work away from home during the week. I opened the package and this is what I was greeted with.
You must be registered for see images attach

Black springs, grey shackles/hangers and completely black shocks. The packaging was acceptable, very tight fitting if anything. The main issue however was that I was missing a set of shocks from the package. I promptly emailed CMS (on a Friday at 6pm) and to my surprise they responded within the hour, stating it was a mistake on their part and that they would have a replacement set shipped out on Monday since MaxTrac was techincally closed for the weekend. On Monday (April 16th), I contacted CMS again to see if my replacement shocks had been shipped, and they said that they had placed the PO with MaxTrac and would be shipping out next day. Two hours later the shocks were shipped. It's April 20th and the shocks are out for delivery today, so hopefully by next weekend I can get the kit on and give a review on the quality of the kit.

All in all, CMS has been great with customer service. I'll give them five stars for that. The one thing that I wasn't extremely happy about was getting a kit that didn't match up to what was advertised on their website. If I had known that MaxTrac would be the real product I was buying before they had shipped it out, I would've requested to cancel the order. However, as of today I am unable to find anything on CMS's website stating that they use MaxTrac. More specifically, the picture of the kit leads me to believe that they (at least partially) use Doetsch products which I would've been content with, and on their website, it says here in the "Manufacturers" section that they specifically use Doetsch shocks but doesn't mention MaxTrac at all.

I guess I'm being a bit picky on this. But I just wanted to post this up and see what everyone else's experience that might've bought from them was like.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The picture usually doesn't represent exactly what you're going to get, but almost always the picture should have a statement indicating this. Now, prominently displaying a brand name and not including that in the shipment? That's deceptive business practices, textbook

Richard

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
The picture usually doesn't represent exactly what you're going to get, but almost always the picture should have a statement indicating this. Now, prominently displaying a brand name and not including that in the shipment? That's deceptive business practices, textbook

And see, I'm not upset over the color by any means. The main problem is the whole MaxTrac thing. I would've rather spent my money on a Doetsch type drop straight from their website (which in retrospect is probably what I should've done), or something proven like DJM which was the original plan. However, CMS was new to me and I wanted to give them a chance. I just didn't realize I'd be taking a gamble on MaxTrac's fitment.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And see, I'm not upset over the color by any means. The main problem is the whole MaxTrac thing. I would've rather spent my money on a Doetsch type drop straight from their website (which in retrospect is probably what I should've done), or something proven like DJM which was the original plan. However, CMS was new to me and I wanted to give them a chance. I just didn't realize I'd be taking a gamble on MaxTrac's fitment.
I saw your post and wanted to offer my perspective since my kit is maxtrac. My experience with the kit has been good. I had no issues with the install at all. The spindles felt of good quality and went on with no problem. Same with the flip kit. While I felt the kit itself was of good quality, I will say the shocks are junk. WAY TOO SOFT. But I bought bilstein shocks, so that isn't a problem. Not trying to persuade your towards maxtrac, but I thought it would be good to share my experience with a product that maybe people aren't familiar with.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Well I definitely appreciate the reassurance. I’m hopefully going to have the drop kit installed this weekend so we’ll see how fitment goes

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I definitely appreciate the reassurance. I’m hopefully going to have the drop kit installed this weekend so we’ll see how fitment goes
Glad to help.
Well I definitely appreciate the reassurance. I’m hopefully going to have the drop kit installed this weekend so we’ll see how fitment
You won't have any trouble with the springs. The only problem you might have will be grinding off those damn rivets holding the old shackle and hangers on. Lol. I have heard that is a pain.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
After all was said and done, CMS came through with customer service so I'll give them props on that. As far as the drop kit goes, I'm ditching the idea of lowering my truck in favor of a simple coil spring leveling kit with 32s. However, I'm talking to someone about selling them my drop kit and letting them have it installed by a professional. That might be a few months or so further down the line but that'll give me a more in depth look at the quality/fitment of the kit. I'll update this thread whenever that happens.