Can you convert 2wd 4L60E to 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Asking a rookie question here.

Situation. I have two 1999 Subs, one is 4wd, both are 5.7 with 4l60e.

I don't know the life history of either of these trans and both trucks are 215k to 230k miles.

While I have time to learn, I'm thinking of buying a boneyard trans and rebuilding it.

If I buy a 2wd one, can the tail end be swapped to allow it to be used on the 4wd? I'm wondering if it's just a matter of pulling the tail stock off the old 4wd trans and putting it on the rebuilt one.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tailshaft housing can be switched to make it 4wd. I've watched my buddy that builds transmissions do it. I'm not sure if anything else needs swapped or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken the tailshaft itself needs to be swapped out as well. I remember the 2wd shaft being longer.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
And after looking around online, it appears that you can't just unbolt the tail housing to swap. You basically have to gut it to convert it from one to the other.

So in effect I have two different transmissions. Conversion is doable but a lot of work.

What I was hoping to do was rebuild a used one and put it in the 2wd, then rebuild the 2wd and put it in the 4wd, but converting it to a 4wd will be more work than it's worth

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just do both at the same time. Another noteworthy difference is the inspection covers: 2wd is stamped steel and 4wd is cast aluminum with steel struts connecting to the motor mounts. These are externally interchangeable. The 4wd version reduces NVH induced by the transfer case hanging way behind the trans mount. When I did my 4L80 swap, I started with a 2wd trans that I converted and rebuilt. At the time all I had was the 2wd inspection cover and I immediately noticed a vibration at 3000 RPM. Reminded me of the time I forgot to tighten the bellhousing bolts on my Crown Vic and it too had a 3000 RPM vibration. I later found and installed the cast cover with supports and the vibration is now gone. That output shaft is something like the 2nd to last piece that comes out of the trans when you rebuild.

sho51

Reaction score
I realize this is an old post but Is it possible to just cut the output shaft on the 2wd with a portable band saw

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I realize this is an old post but Is it possible to just cut the output shaft on the 2wd with a portable band saw

I can't say for sure, but I feel like I've seen this done on a T56 before. I think it was to convert a Corvette T56 into 4wd? Been a long time.