Camok10's sas 97 z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camok10

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 Chevy z71 Vortec 350, true duals with flows, hypertech, k&n filter, trick flow t.b. spacer. hopefully by spring ill have a 6 lug sas with a 77 ford 44 and factory 10 bolt may try and find a sf 14 for it but that can always be changed later.

Already have the front axle a set of 6 lug outers, ord shackle flip and 6.5" super shackle are on there way. going to also put in a 4" block and ord 0 rate add a leaf to net 10" of lift rear. Front is yet to come but going to be ord sas kit, 8" 73-87 front spring. Along with the ord cross over steering set up an a ried racing/ dedinbear flat top knuckle. After that all that will be left will be to figure out shock length and mounting, and figure out length for a set of 81-87 ext brake lines. since I will be using calipers from that year truck should be a blot on and go there. Hopeing to be out of this for under 3000 including truck purchase price. Minus wheels tires and gears i feel it should be very do-able.

What do you all think of this setup ?

And the truck paid 500 for it

You must be registered for see images attach

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
so you are going to have 12" of lift, what size tire are you planning? anything bigger than a 35 and you really should be using a dana 60

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
so you are going to have 12" of lift, what size tire are you planning? anything bigger than a 35 and you really should be using a dana 60

Was just about to say this. With something that big, forget about the 10 bolt or 14 bolt sf. You're gonna want a D60hp front and a 14 bolt FF rear.

Angie please do a better Job then that tahoe you bought.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

camok10

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
10" rear 11 front and nothing like the poor tahoe. planing on a 37" it's not going to be any thing hard core just some trails and occasional mud no lockers maybe a true track out back so that will help my axles survive the bigger tires. Aso for the Tahoe it's being disassembled to go to truck heaven.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
That's still a lot of rotating mass. Even if you're not gonna wheel it hard. Atleast get a 14B FF rear.

camok10

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may, I have one laying around already, if I do go ff it's going to get disk brakes along with a Detroit. For gearing I'm trying to decide between 456 and 488's any input? Also for sliders any one have any preference of round vs square tube and why? In thinking about boat siding the rusty rockers out also and think square would look better.

Oh yes and the poor poor Tahoe will live on in this............I'm replacing my rusty front clip and doors with it's parts. That thing will haunt me for ever on here I have a feeling

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
4.88's will have more get up and go, 4.56's will have a lower highway RPM which = better MPG.

camok10

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I'm just not Shure which one I'm leaning more toward 456's right now my goal is to have it daily drive able if need be. So 456's would be better but I'm Shure down the road ill want to go bigger

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For gears I would go 5.13, with my 4.56 and 38's it is sluggish. I would defintly upgrade the 10 bolt before wasting money on gears for it, even easy driving on pavement will do it in. I can't say a whole lot on the d44 strength yet (i broke axle shaft with 38's and abuse) so if thinking bigger with any abuse I would look for a 60. Is the 77 d44 low or high pinion?
So you have 2500 for brackets, springs, knuckle, x-over steering, shocks, brakes, balljoints, u-joints, and driveshaft, budget will be tight. Since with that much lift you will need a custom front shaft especially if low pinion.
You will be sitting high on 37's. I have under 10" of total lift and clear 38's no problem.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're gonna be towering over your tires with that much lift. As stated previously, don't even bother with a 10 bolt. The issue isn't as much "mild wheeling" as it is rotating mass and torque. The big issue for you is going to be sudden loading of your axle especially living in Michigan (think driving in snow). The 10 bolt will be fine under "normal" circumstances. The issue comes when you're on the gas but not getting traction and your tires finally bite and apply a sudden torque to your axle. Something is gonna give. By the time you finish building a 10b or 44 that will handle the tires and load you are gonna have way more into it than throwing in a stock 60.