Cam for lq4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I am in the middle of doing a 6.0 lq4 swap into my 95 k1500 and am looking to do a cam while I have the motor out. It'll be a first as far as cams go so I'm looking for suggestions. I called lunati and the guy recommended a voodoo with 212/218 duration. Part number 20540710. I have read in a few other places guys claim that wasn't much of a change and recommend 222/228 duration or even a little higher than that. My truck is sitting on 37's with 5.13's and 5 speed. Any input helps. Thanks

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ran a Texas Speed 224R cam in my LQ4 back when I had a 6.0, 581 lift intake, 581 lift exhaust, 112 LSA and I run the double comp springs that are good to 660 lift, so I am well within the safe zone and comp 7.4 hardened pushrods, this was an awesome cam, nice sound and plenty of low end torque and HP. The worst thing you can do is put an overly large cam that makes all its power high in the rpm range in a heavy truck, it makes for a real pig.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I know I wanted something that gets that heavy truck and big tires moving out of the low rpm range. Was looking for something from low to mid range. I hear a lot of good things about Texas speed and performance through the other sites. They may have to be someone else I look into. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call them too and get a recommendation. I know I want to get hardened rods and a cam kit. I'm definitely going to look into that cam too, thanks

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just prefer them to the beehive aftermarket type for LS engines, as i have seen several of them break, they also help stop valve float at high rpm especially when you are not near their limits, I bought the air holder tool that screws in to the spark plug hole and I changed all the srings, seats, and seals in about 2 hours total.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have that cam in my current engine which is a 408, but mine is 110 LSA, its a good cam also, it is 588 lift intake and exhaust, it just moves the power band slightly higher in a smaller cubic inch motor that the 224R.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah looking at TSP, they're 228r is .600/.600. I think I'm going to go with this one but get the whole kit. What would be the difference between the .650 or .660 springs? Any benefit of one over the other? Tried searching around and haven't really found a definitive answer.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't run the 228 in the 6.0 because I wanted stock stall convertor at that time with the the 4L60E that I was running with it, and with the 228 you really need some extra stall. Now I have a built 4L80E behind my 408 and I am running a 2400 stall convertor, I don't like a big convertor to run on the street, especially for cruising around.