California legal headers: is 1.5" worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 92' 350 and I'm interested in aftermarket headers, however due to Komifornia's strict smog laws my options are limited.
I've found this pair of Flowtech headers that will still allow me to pass smog:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/91830/10002/-1

They are 1.5" shorties that bolt to the factory y-pipe.

Are these worth the time and money to upgrade for any performance gain?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I say go for it, but don't expect a world of difference in performance. I run 1.5" primary shorties on my red truck and I like them. I noticed more of a difference in sound than anything else, though.

As for those Flowtechs, I'm sure they're great, but if I were you I'd at least consider something cheaper. Maybe these...

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9014

From what I can tell they're practically identical to the Flowtechs, I've even seen some people speculate that they're made for Summit BY Flowtech. CA legal as well.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What makes a header smog legal or illegal? As long as you have a catalytic converter and the O2 sensors are operating it shouldn't matter. Right?

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
I think smog legal have the bungs already welded on for O2 sensors. Non smog legal don't have an provisions for O2 sensors.

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EGR is plumbed into the drivers side header, at least on my 2000, 92 it might be different. But thats what would make you 'emissions legal' or not.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For an exhaust/intake product to be smog legal in California it has to have been "tested" by CARB (California Air Resources Board).
They "test" it to make sure it won't cause any ill-effects on the environment.
For a company to have their product tested they have to pay CARB a ton of money to approve their product.
:sweak:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For an exhaust/intake product to be smog legal in California it has to have been "tested" by CARB (California Air Resources Board).
They "test" it to make sure it won't cause any ill-effects on the environment.
For a company to have their product tested they have to pay CARB a ton of money to approve their product.
:sweak:

Yeah, this. Basically any aftermarket parts that could potentially interfere with emissions have to have a CARB ID number, it has absolutely nothing to do with which bungs are welded on etc.

We're talking California legal here, not just street legal.