Cali legal exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
So I have a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust an that's about it. I want to run some headers and a better exhaust set up dice I'm rolling 38 inch procomps. Does anyone have any ideas on a set up I could run. I live in California and smog is strict. I found the edlebrock smog legal headers but wants to hear some feedback. Thanks.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust an that's about it. I want to run some headers and a better exhaust set up dice I'm rolling 38 inch procomps. Does anyone have any ideas on a set up I could run. I live in California and smog is strict. I found the edlebrock smog legal headers but wants to hear some feedback. Thanks.

If you change anything from the cats forward, you need a CARB number. If you have one, you're fine, if not you're screwed.

I could never bring myself to drop the kind of money required to get a set of Thorley's to replace the bricks on my L31.

That said I've heard alot of good about Doug Thorley's mid lengths. They're SMOG legal, but they're also ~$800 new with the necesary tubing to the cats.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
find someone who lives in a state has no smog restrictions transfer the title to them and pay tabs have them send them to you when necessary...far as i know that works till you get caught

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Thanks I'll check into those Doug Thorley's. I'd have a hard time throwing that much down on them as well. I just want a little more power for my tires without spending a fortune.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a set off SS Ebay headers Edelbrock Y pipe cat and Magnaflow muffler and dont have any problems with smog

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol its hard to get away with that unless the title was originally in the state before hand. my friend owned the title to his brothers car out in denver so he could pass emissions in colorado just had to have minnesota plates and tabs. worked to he got the car impounded. how often do u have to test out there?

ald94

Reaction score
As stated above, From the cat back you do not need any CARB (California Air Restriction Board) number. My personal opinion is to run a Magnaflow High Flow Cat, and a good set of Smog headers. I have the Edelbrock headers with Y-pipe to Magnaflow cat with Flowmaster single chamber race muffle dumped before the axle. I have never had any issue with smog here in Central Cali with this setup. The Edelbrock kit I got from Summit was just over $400, decent price and has the Tri-tech coating.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
ald94 and Metal Mulisha, where are you guys in CA? Sorry a little off topic, but not too many from CA on here. I'm just running a Flowmaster Force II exhaust system, but that was put on before I got the truck.
Living in CA is a PITA! :fca5278d:You have to pay for all the more expensive CARB stuff. I would've just made my own cold air intake, but they wouldn't have liked that.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
yea i looked at the smog legal eddlebrock headers and ive looked at the doug thorley headers and both have a CARB sticker but the price is nearly doubled for the thorleys. i know i want to get a new y pipe but i want to do it the same time i do headers. and gmcyukon im in the bay area.