Cab Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon_

Reaction score
So I currently have a 95 Chev 1500 and the frame and motor are shot, but i just picked up a 97 with a perfect frame and motor but needs cab corners, rockers, fenders, and a box side, would it be easier to swap the cabs and interior since i have all the parts, much help needed thanks
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the other cab is real nice I would swap the cabs I do body work for a living but would still prefer changing to welding and body work on a rusty cab.

Brandon_

Reaction score
If the other cab is real nice I would swap the cabs I do body work for a living but would still prefer changing to welding and body work on a rusty cab.
do you have any idea on what the wiring harnesses are like between the 2?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
95 and 97 should have the same harness, but if there are different options for the interior, the wiring will be different.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
95 and 97 should have the same harness, but if there are different options for the interior, the wiring will be different.
95 and 97 DO NOT have the same harness. 95 is a very unique year, it's a 1 year only wiring setup. A 95 is OBD1 TBI and the 97 is OBD2 vortec, plus would have a passenger airbag.

The cab itself is pretty much identical wiring aside, so you could swap your wiring and dash into the other cab.

So basically you will need to gut the dash and wiring in the 95 cab, and swap it onto the 97 frame and use the 97 dash and wiring harness.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you decide to swap I would gut the good cab completly and do any prep work ahaead of time such as paint floors and clean. Then you could swap the new cab on and swap wiring and dash in a weekend if you don;t mind working a little late. Don't start on the cold ones to early

Brandon_

Reaction score
If you decide to swap I would gut the good cab completly and do any prep work ahaead of time such as paint floors and clean. Then you could swap the new cab on and swap wiring and dash in a weekend if you don;t mind working a little late. Don't start on the cold ones to early
so, I have decided on doing the cab swap, but I'm not to worried about fixing or cleaning the inside of the cab since it was painted not to long ago, but I was wondering if I ran a computer from a 96 1/2 ton would it work with the 97 wiring harness, I'm just wondering since the 96 comp doesn't have the 2nd airbag, if any of you guys any idea on that it would be really appreciated

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
so, I have decided on doing the cab swap, but I'm not to worried about fixing or cleaning the inside of the cab since it was painted not to long ago, but I was wondering if I ran a computer from a 96 1/2 ton would it work with the 97 wiring harness, I'm just wondering since the 96 comp doesn't have the 2nd airbag, if any of you guys any idea on that it would be really appreciated
Everything should work, 96/97 computers should be the same underhood. AFAIK the airbag system is ran independent of the ECM underhood, in fact the airbag module is mounted under the driver's seat.