C2500 Shortbed Shop Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blainq17

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum but I've been lurking for awhile. I kind of abandoned the forum community back when I had my GTO. (The LS1gto forum community was pretty negative in my experience) Anyway now I'm deployed and bored so I figured I'd start a thread for my C2500 shop truck build.

I bought this truck for $300 from a friend of mine without much of a plan for it. It's a 1992 C2500 Cheyenne with a 350 and a 4L80E that had a serious internal problem when I bought it. At first I decided I'd just rebuild/fix the transmission and turn around and sell it for a profit. But the more I messed with the truck the more I fell in love with the "patina" and the idea of making a shop truck out of it.

So I removed the busted 4L80E and tore it down in my garage. I pretty quickly discovered that it had a clutch pack that had welded itself solid. I believe it was the intermediate clutch if I remember correctly. So I replaced that drum and rebuilt the entire transmission. I haven't put it back in the truck yet.

In between rebuilding that trans and finishing up a Porsche 944 LS swap that was demanding the majority of my attention and budget, I began the process of shortening the C2500. I just can't stand long beds. I have zero interest in them. I don't know why.

So I moved the rear axle forward 14" and flipped it while I was at it using the DJM 5/7 drop kit. If I was going to do it again I would probably section the frame underneath the cab. It would've turned out much cleaner that way because there's one crossmember behind the cab that must be removed and another that must be modified and moved forward to mount the shorter fuel tank. Ah well, we live and learn. The bed itself still needs shortened and the front still needs lowered. But that's as far as the build has come so far. I'm very slow when it comes to my projects. It doesn't help that the truck itself isn't even at my house.

The overall plan for this truck is to end up with a low, cheap, solid driving, shop truck. I don't intend to pull much with it, possibly my boat. Mostly it will just be a cool parts hauler. I'm just going to tune up the existing TBI 350 and do a set of headers and a single 3 inch exhaust then just enjoy the truck. I'm not sure if the 5/7 drop will get this 8 lug suspension as low as I want but it should be close. I'd like to get some cool shop truck door art done also.

Here's some pictures of the truck when I bought it, the clutch pack I cut off the hub of the drum in the trans, and a picture of the truck in its current state. It still has a long way to come and I need to get rid of those awful wheels. Unfortunately it's sitting in the weeds right now at the folks house because my 64 C10 is taking up my garage space.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I have also found that some forums can be very negative and full of people that are all about themselves. Hope you enjoy your time here and get some good imput on your project