C1500 lifted or leveled info and compared

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkaab

Reaction score
I thought it would be cool to let show and let ya’ll know how each way of lifting my truck looked, felt, and worked.

My truck is a 1996 Chevrolet C1500 Extended Cab Short Bed. I’ve owned it for 5 years

1st I started out with just putting 31x10.5 BFGs on it at stock height. They fit perfect with just a bit of mirror rubbing at full lock mainly over a bump or something.

2nd setup was a Spindle Source lift kit. 4” spindle lift with 2” blocks in the rear. This setup pushed the front wheels out side of the wheel wells by a good amount so the rear track needed spacers to match. I used 1.5” spacers on each side to get it close. I believe 1.75” spacers would be needed to make it like the front. Spindle Source claimed that you can use your stock 15” rims but they did not clear 100%. It was close so since the spindles are so big and thick I just took a grinder and made it work. Front brake hoses had to be extended. I got around this with just running new hard lines to a new spot on the frame and welded a mount. You have to take you steering stops off with this lift or it will hit the brake caliper.

This setup have the truck a reverse rake. Ride quality was basically just like stock. I ran this with the same 31x10.5 tires as before which are just too small for that amount of lift. 33” would be a better choice but they will probably have issues with hitting the stock front bumper.

3rd and current setup is a eBay 2” front spring spacer and stock height in the rear. This setup has gotten the truck very close to how I want it to look which is like a stock 4x4. It has just a tad bit of reverse rake. At this point I also needed new tires so I also switched up the wheels to some American Racing Baja 15x8. These wheels gave the truck a little more aggressive stance and pushed them out almost flush with the wheel wells. The old BFGs held up so well I decided to get the new versions in the same 31x10.5

This setup has given the truck a very stiff and harsh ride up front. In fact I blew one of the shocks out after a couple of weeks. I did not install the shock extenders since I could not get the nut off the shock. I’m hoping that may be stopping down travel and new longer shocks or stock with the extenders might help the ride a bit. One plus is with the steering stops removed it turns much tighter than stock. It will rub the frame a full lock but not by much with the aftermarket wheels having different back spacing than stock.

stock Z71 4x4 to 2” spacer leveled
You must be registered for see images attach

2” spacer leveled to stock

Stock to 4” spindle lift to 2” spacer leveled

4” spindle lift

2” spacer levled

Stock with stock size tire

Stock with 31” tire

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
This is great! I'm thinking about changing mine up again (maybe going back down to stock with some 31's). I hope you don't mind me tossing up a couple of my own lift/wheel/tire combos. If you do, let me know and I'll delete it :waytogo:

Stock. 235/75r15 tires
You must be registered for see images

287759_389341741130382_1015808785_o-jpg.94470

2" coil lift, 1.5" block, 235/75r15 tires
img_6760_zps4b6b9ac7-jpg.110883

2" Coil lift, 1.5" blocks, 30x9.5r15 tires

2" Coil, 1.5" block, 30x9.5r15 tires, and 15x8 AR Baja wheels

2" coil, 1.5" block, 15x8 AR Baja wheels, 32x11.5r15 tires

4" spindle, 2" block, add a leaf, 15x8 AR baja and 32x11.5r15 tires(removed the 2" coil and 1.5" block)

4" spindle, 6 lug swap, 18" z71 wheels, 1/4" wheel spacers in the front, 265/65r18 tires

bkaab

Reaction score
Little update. Changed the shocks today. You do in fact need the extenders. Both shocks got broken. I also took the front sway bar off and it seems to ride and drive fine with out it. I also swapped out the rear shocks for some air shocks and with just a little bit of air in them it levels out the back nicely.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got question where can i get the 2" front spring spacers i got 98 chevy ext. cab shortbed im want to lift front end up 2" and how does the spacers go in?

bkaab

Reaction score
i got question where can i get the 2" front spring spacers i got 98 chevy ext. cab shortbed im want to lift front end up 2" and how does the spacers go in?

I got mine off eBay. Theres a bunch of them for sale but most are the same with a different brand on it. It goes in above the coil spring. Got to say its not all that easy.

Carolina19nc

Reaction score
I got mine off eBay. Theres a bunch of them for sale but most are the same with a different brand on it. It goes in above the coil spring. Got to say its not all that easy.

Which kind of spacer did you use? I’m looking on eBay for the ones that go on top but most of them say “will not fit ext cab models”. Nobody knows why. Also did you use a internal compressor with an impact to get it back in?