C1500 10 Bolt 8.5 Posi Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 has the 10 bolt rear 3/42 gears with 8.5 ring (pretty sure) i see somewhere about 71-81 trans am's having a limited slip set up factory on most? And that this would be a cheap swap? I never really messed with rear ends lol there is a guy around the corner a few miles has a buick road master wagon has the lt1 someone said if that had a posi/limited i could use it?

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want Posi, look into an Eaton TrueTrac or AAM TracRite. They are essentially the same design and is just a replacement of whatever differential you have now, whether it's the G80 or open diff. I just put on in my 96 Yukon and it's fantastic. Cost about $800 installed.

With the Roadmaster, you may have to modify some things, I don't know enough about them to say.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was hoping to stay a little under that price lol
Now idk but a 97 k1500 10 bolt gt4 g80 would the c1500 5 lug axles slide into that rear end? or?

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Are you talking about using the carrier or the whole axle assembly? Neither assembly will bolt in. The F-body carrier will not work "as is" because they have 28 spline axles. The Roadmaster should work but without specifics I don't want to say for sure. The carrier in my truck is from a Roadmaster.

sohnnie-jines

Reaction score
you can use one out of an 94-96 Impala SS or c1500 truck or Tahoe 8.5. Both are 30 spline. Thats what I did. Found plenty on eBay for around $200

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my Auburn posi unit on eBay rather cheap while there I went with 3.73 instead of the 3.42 it hooks up better now.