Bypassing power steering cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like the piston was jammed in the flow control valve. I’ll put the ones from the old pump in and see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Success! I have full power steering again. Something wasn’t right about how the flow control valve was rebuilt, so putting the parts from the other pump in fixed it.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea a couple years ago I got a bad acdelco reman from Rockauto. Frustrating. Excess end play in the old pump so as a precaution I replaced it and that one failed. So I have a fresh reman in a box somewhere.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah pretty frustrating that a Delco part failed immediately. Being that it was only low rpm/idle that had the problem, I thought it had to be something with the flow control. I was hoping to be able to get to it without removing the pump, but there isn’t enough room between the block and steering components to get a 1” wrench or socket in there. I’m kind of glad I checked it because I did a few mods while it was out - http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/powersteeringmods/