Buying new rims but not sure on size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is probably a very redundant question but I searched google and some forums and I couldnt find my answer. Maybe I didnt use the correct terms, I am not sure.

I have a 95 K1500. I have 33x12.50 bfg at tires on some 15" rims. I dunno how wide the rims are but the front rims stick out too far and look bad. I want to get new rims that will fit correctly. I am unsure how to pick the right rims. I read stock rims are 16x7 5.5 bs. With the 33x12.5 I assume I need wider than 7". I'm assuming 15x8 is what I need. But this leads me to my question. What backspacing should I be looking at for a 15x8 rim to keep the tires inside or at least lined up to the fender.

On summit racing under the cragar soft 8 rims, which are the ones i am looking at. it shows 15x8 with two diff offsets/backspacing. 4.75" bs with +6mm offset or 4" bs with -12mm offset.

I am thinking i should be going with the 4.75 bs and +6mm offset to tuck the tires under properly. or am I wrong?

Reaction score
I am by far an expert on rim offset. I went to discount tire when I had my Yukon for rims and had the same questions. The guy pulled one of my stock wheel and tires off and set several different rims I was interested in on the front hub. Now it didn't have a tire on it so I couldn't get a 100% idea of how'd they look but I did see how they lined up with the body. This helped me out a ton. Try going to a tire store and ask them for your options, they will do what they can if they think your gonna spend some $$$$$$.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i think a stock rim is about the closest you can get to staying inside the fenderwell. but i know they sell ALOT of aftermarket rims with different offsets. try a stock offset?

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats where the problem lies. the new rims are gonna be 1" wider so if the offset/backspace was the same as stock it wont be the same cause of the new width. im an idiot right now and cant seem to figure it out haha.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most rims come in 3 offsets.

1) Tucked in for lowered vehicles
2) Stock for stock height and small lifts
3) Set out for wide offroad tires

Whatever company you buy them from will know the difference between the models.

You should put your 33s on a x8 or x9 rim with a stock offset. x10 rims with big offsets look bad

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

this is actually perfect. if only i knew the offset of the stock rims. if its x7 with 5.5 backspace then it should be..... ill figure it out.

mike,
i am looking at x8 because i read x10 wont fit correctly.
I am not lifted much at all. just 2". the tires just stick out too far in front and sling **** all over the doors. putting flares on to cover would look bad in my opinion on this application.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my best guess is that 15x8 with +6mm offset will be best. measuring real caveman like on a stock rim i believe its 0mm offset stock. according to the link crash provided 15x8 with +6mm offset is gonna only stick out 7mm more than stock which i can live with. Ill lose 19mm on the inside but thats ok. if it rubs i dont mind to trim underneath. I just dont wanna trim exterior sheetmetal. truck is a daily truck and not a mudder so trimming the sheetmetal imo would look ridiculous haha. thanks for the help guys

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try a 15x8 witha 3.25" backspacing. That will look great IMO

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If one of my venders info is right (I had to do a disclaimer) the stock wheels are 16X6.5 with a +20 offset.