Buying a GMT-400 very soon....help me!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Just realized I posted this in a section where others weren't allowed to posts in others threads...ooops.

I plan to buy an extended cab '94 Z-71 here soon. It is stock with green/silver two tone, 5.7L, auto, gray interior, power everything, cruise, etc.

This will not be a DD. I've been searching for months for the perfect truck, and I've decided that a '94 ext. cab fits that bill. I am a big fan of the older interiors (I've owned two of them, a '92 and '93), and also of the TBI.

Here's what I plan so far:

First thing, major tune up. Oil change, new plugs, wires, all new sensors, new pigtails where deemed necessary, rotor cap, distributor cap, hoses where deemed necessary, flush radiator/cooling system, flush tranny, replace fuel filter.

First major set of mods: Replace TBI with Holley 502-9, replace air cleaner with K&N 63-1007-1, add Edelbrock 3704 Intake Manifold, Hooker 2462HKR long tube headers, not sure of what to with the exhaust past that, I don't want it loud though. I'm guessing run true duals with an x-pipe, some high flow cats, and quietening mufflers.

After that set that should have her running like a champ, so where do we go from here? Inside: Replace headliner, add 95-98 overhead center console, re-upholster seats if necessary, replace every button that is worn.

Now, exterior. Going to completely debadge and remove all decals, replace tailgate with new one w/ all new inner workings, remove all moldings, add crystal clear headlights and parklamps, replace OEM orange side markers if neeeded, replace OEM tail-lights if needed.

Then its off to the body shop for a fresh coat of black paint and any dent repair, no matter how small, and also to pull the body off and coat the frame with some rust inhibitor (what do you all recommend????) and to put all new body mounts on it. I would do this on my own but I currently live in a townhome neighborhood, just started a new job.

Back to me, I add new tailgate CHEVROLET strip, all new badges, new pre-cut molding set, new wheel well chrome molding, new Z-71 decals.

Now is where I am split...do I keep the stock look? Just add some 285's to the stock wheels and a black brush guard?

ORRRR do I go all out and go with a Peacemaker bumper like this one (but black):
You must be registered for see images

Then add 4" lift with 18x9" Black XD Monsters and 33"x12.50"x18" Toyo MT's???

What am I missing? What would you all suggest?

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I thought you wanted a green and tan truck? Why are you painting it black? Also I wouldn't flush a trans that old as more than likely it will only cause problems.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Good points, and I wholly concur on the tranny comment. And it depends on how good the paint is, I am looking at two of them right now, still haven't seen them in person though and won't get a chance to until the end of this week or later. One has a gray interior and the other has the tan, and I REALLY want a '90-'94 with a tan int, but the problem is the stock tan/green two tone on '90-'94s isnt what I had in mind, the teal/silver is really the only I've seen.