Budget Lowering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayce

Reaction score
I would like to affordably lower my 1989 c1500 standard cab 2WD a reasonable amount, but I'm unsure of the best way to do so. Everybody talks about lowering kits, but they all seem a bit expensive for my budget. 4/6 drop would be ideal and I'd like to stiffen it up a bit for better highway handling. Is there any way I can cheaply do this at home and just buy new shocks or is it best to just pay for a kit?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I always scan craigslist or any of the for sale apps on smart phones for used or un-wanted new parts.

Jayce

Reaction score
I always scan craigslist or any of the for sale apps on smart phones for used or un-wanted new parts.

Not much luck there. I found a rear flip kit on ebay for $100 but that leaves the front in question. I would just prefer to do as much as possible on my own.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Cutting 1 coil of the stock original front springs usually = 2" in drop.
That'll also increase the spring rate some.
I wouldn't cut more than 1 coil. Others have done more, but not this guy!
2" drop spindles show up sometimes on C/L. The '88/'89's use a smaller spindle & rotor, so finding a used set may prove difficult.
After getting that kit for a hundred $, the spindles would be the most expensive part of the whole job.
You will still need front shocks when using a 2" shorter coil & the rear will need 4" shorter shocks. That's with shock extenders, which should come with the flip kit. They're not that costly anyway if they not included.