Budget Fuel Injection Replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BkY32

Reaction score
I have a 1997 k1500 5.7 Vortec and I have to replace my fuel injection. And I was wondering if anyone can recommend some cheaper replacements and trusted places to order from. I don’t have a lot of money to spend. I’m hoping to get a replacement for $200ish. I found a website that had a mpi replacement for like $170 and I don’t remember it and didn’t know if it could be trusted.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Don't cheap out on injection, get a name brand: delphi, AC Delco, etc. If you can afford $200 now, you can afford $300 in not much longer.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put Delphi in the 98 Tahoe wife thought " what did you do to my Tahoe? How much did spend! " Yeah it's fixed.
It's one thing you shouldn't cut corners on. ( pay me now or pay me twice later thing) Good luck. I got my first one at Amazon, second at Rock Auto.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much are those injectors going for now? I had bought mine on my 5.7 Vortec about 3 years ago from AAP with a 25% coupon for around $275. It was a BWD brand, but looked just the other common brands.

I do see now individual injectors. I didn't think anyone would replace just the single, bad injector, but that's only about $60 vs $500 or whatever. They even charge a core fee for them!

Do you know which injector is bad?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
How much are those injectors going for now? I had bought mine on my 5.7 Vortec about 3 years ago from AAP with a 25% coupon for around $275. It was a BWD brand, but looked just the other common brands.

I do see now individual injectors. I didn't think anyone would replace just the single, bad injector, but that's only about $60 vs $500 or whatever. They even charge a core fee for them!

Yes the single injector tubes are available. That's what we did on the other 99 Burb, when Walmart gas had messed up stuff in the fuel injection. The truck ran better after that, for several years until it got wrecked. Dad was given the option and that's what he chose, for monetary reasons. Maybe the upgrade units weren't available then for a good price?

BkY32

Reaction score

I’m not sure I’m just going to replace the whole thing to get a new regulator also and see if that’s what’s causing my issue of it dumping so much fuel that it locks my engine up.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An injector balance test will tell you which injector is stuck open. Some more advanced scan tools have this functionality or there's pulsing gadget that does the same thing. OTC makes one for a bit over $100. Amazon has a no-name version for a lot cheaper.

Careful when cranking an engine with fuel into the cylinder. Liquids don't compress and the engine could be damaged from a bent rod.

BkY32

Reaction score
An injector balance test will tell you which injector is stuck open. Some more advanced scan tools have this functionality or there's pulsing gadget that does the same thing. OTC makes one for a bit over $100. Amazon has a no-name version for a lot cheaper.

Careful when cranking an engine with fuel into the cylinder. Liquids don't compress and the engine could be damaged from a bent rod.
Yeah I stopped to prevent that and took out plugs and turned it over by hand to clear out the fuel. I do know its more then one messed up I want to say 4-6 are considering the amount of fuel that came out compared to the others.. I also have been looking at that same replacement on rockauto but says the gaskets and bracket are not included do I have to replace the bracket? I know I have to replace the gaskets.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I stopped to prevent that and took out plugs and turned it over by hand to clear out the fuel. I do know its more then one messed up I want to say 4-6 are considering the amount of fuel that came out compared to the others.. I also have been looking at that same replacement on rockauto but says the gaskets and bracket are not included do I have to replace the bracket? I know I have to replace the gaskets.
I can't remember what I did about the bracket...

I had bought a complete Felpro intake gasket set, but I only took the upper plenum apart, so that's what I got from the set.