BROKEN EXTRACTOR DOWN OIL SENDING HOLE 1992 GMC 5.7 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A month or so ago I changed my transmission. Unfortunately my oil sending unit got broken in the process;sheered brass busing inside block.

Next a broken easy out in the middle of that fitting. Long story short I ended up having to drill around it and get it out of there. I was going to grab it it fell down the whole one into my engine. From what I understand this is above the oil filter and can easily head towards your lifters.

My question becomes what is the best way to flush out my oil system so I don't have loose metal damaging the engine

You must be registered for see images attach

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for my grammatical errors on my original post. So you're referencing turning the oil pump?
After I put the tranny in I was able to start my engine no problem and I didn't have any leaks before the transmission job so I obviously cracked it when I found the leak all I did was touch the sensor and it just flopped out of the blog long story sure right now I have the distributor cap and all that ship pulled off and I just am worried about turning over my engine with a titanium extractor head in there. My questions becomes will it fall into the oil pan

Also in spite of all my damage I'm able to thread the new elbow or new used elbow in Fairly easily and it actually catches so could I do some kind of plumber tape RTV J-B Weld combo to seal this port?

You must be registered for see images attach

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well for one I'm trying to make sense of the diagram posted. Obviously the oil sending unit hole on my block is vertical. Looking at the diagram I'm trying to understand where this titanium piece fell even.

I'm gathering you're telling me there's not a chance in hell that I will get this part or piece to go anywhere near my oil pan.

Next I've never heard of a galley plug but I briefly Googled it since I read your post. Will you explain to me the benefits of trying to go that route? 1992 GMC K 2500 350 small block V8

Bob Kay

Reaction score
how about removing the sending unit & oil filter & flushing it out with air or mineral spirits

Jeffgmcgrr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I plan on trying and telescopic magnet. The sending unit is already off taking the filter out would be easy do you think it would be best just to shoot compressed air down my dipstick? What are you talking about mineral spirits