Brake upgrade- what have you done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since i couldnt find a thread on this, i figured id ask.

As the title sugests, what have you done to help stopping power?

Any suggestions for us 5 lug guys? Best rotors/calibers/pads youve ran?

How about for the rear? I usually run nice napa pads, anyone have pads they really like for the drums? I know nothing will be as good as a disk brake conversion, and i plan on doing one in the future but not anytime soon.

As always, if this exists or has been covered repeatedly let me know. Ive seen comments on it, but never a thread for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 Tahoe always had lousy brakes. Followed a fella on the Tahoe forum on doing disc upgrade to the rear. Found donor truck (03 Pick up) did the change over and now it will stop a tank on a trailer. Conversion was defiantly worth the $120 I spent in parts and a weekend doing it.

pintail45

Reaction score
Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors and pads made a HUGE difference in stopping power on mine. No more warped rotors either.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm planning to do the NBS master cylinder and 1-ton caliper upgrade once I sort out my potential trans issue.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Every time I hear about the GMT800 master cylinder swap, I can't help but wonder if the improvement people were feeling was mostly due to the fact that they were just getting rid of their old and worn out master cylinder.

I have a fairly new GMT400-style master on my truck. Yes the pedal is a bit spongy but it stops great.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

Ibanez GSA60

Reaction score
Every time I hear about the GMT800 master cylinder swap, I can't help but wonder if the improvement people were feeling was mostly due to the fact that they were just getting rid of their old and worn out master cylinder.

I have a fairly new GMT400-style master on my truck. Yes the pedal is a bit spongy but it stops great.

Sent from my Nintendo 64
See, I would do a -800 Master, but I'm gonna do hydroboost out of a -400, because then I can maintain a more factory look (fluid reservoir) under the hood, and that still should increase stopping power.

norad848

Reaction score
Indeed it will. I did it to mine. Used a booster from a 99 Express 3500. Stopping power is great, but I still have a spongy pedal. I'm definitely gonna do the rear NBS brake swap. But i'm on the fence about whether I should do the 1 ton from calipers, or do the front NBS swap as well.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but for anyone reading this for answers I will leave a comment of what I have learned. In my experience, I found that the 1500 (5 lug) and the 2500LD (6 lug) are identical far as the pads, calipers and size of the rotor. This also applies to 4wd's as well. I have come up with at 4 wheel Anti-lock braking system conversion for GMT-400 and earlier models. This will also convert the front end with a separate hub and disc. I will also include a drum to disc conversion for this as well. In my research I found that the disc on the front of my 07 are the same diameter as my 93. pads and calipers are slightly altered due to the dual pistons. What I am waiting on at this time is for the disc brakes to wear out. I converted my 5 lug to 6 when I swapped the 10 bolt SF 3.08:1 to a 14 bolt SF 3.73:1. The first thing I noticed was the wider drums and shoes. There is exactly 4 inches wider in the rear vs the old diff. My braking power increased. I will make an update when I am ready to do the 4wheel ABS conversion. Parts I have at the moment is a complete 92 4x4 2500LD front end. and a old hub from my 07. The reason for the 4x4 2500ld is to gain the 4 inches in the front and to get rid of the spindle set up and move to the bolt on hub assembly.The reason for this is to add the 07 hub with the ABS sensor. I have already matched up the 92 4x4 knuckle with the 07 hub. I only have to make one mod to the knuckle. Drilling out the threads cause the hub on the 07 model has the threads and this will give me new threads to bolt to. I suppose you could use the 07 knuckle I have plans to check the measurements. if so then that would be an easier method then the one I just described. After all that has been done, acquire the necessary hardware for the 4wheel ABS off a 07. If the measurements are good for the 07 front end then I will go with all 07 components. This will be the only way I found to have 4wheel ABS. I will update later.

Spastik Monkey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a rear disc conversion on the back, factory hydroboost with the gmt800 cylinder. PO put some slotted rotors on the front.

I recently acquired all the parts to swap in an 800 knuckle. This will give me dual piston calipers up front. I'll post up the difference when I get it all done