brake light on in the dash.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got word earlier from my dad, who's been driving my truck all winter, that the brake light in dash came on, it's an 88 moonie setup and it's the bottom right side, light closest to the steering column. I can't read what it says.

Well here's the thing, e- brake cables have been cut for awhile now, and I unhooked the plugin to the e-brake pedal since it kept falling and setting the light.

New calipers, and pads on the front, new wheel cylinders and shoes in the back, they've been on maybe a year. All the lines are in good shape, no leaks, no low fluid in the MC.

It's always had a somewhat soft or far pedal travel, but it stops good. It just goes about halfway down before it catches and starts slowing down. Also just sitting in the driveway, hit the brakes with it running and hold them they seem to drop all the way down to me. or I should say the pedal does.

Now from when I first put the brakes on til now, nothing different, pedal feel, travel everythings the same.

I read that it's probably the dump valve casuing the far pedal travel and was going to check it by bypassing it. I just never got around to it.

Will the light stay on it the dump valve has no fluid going to it? It's RWAL only. Or will it come on if I unplug it? I have to wait for some warm weather to try and fix it, so it may end up parked until then. Anything else to check? I'd have to wait for better weather to yank the wheels off of it too.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unplug the RWAL and see if the light goes away. Mine was stuck on on my '91. I disconnected the RWAL box, removed it and tossed it in the trash.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey thanks for the reply didn't even see the thing had a reply lol.

ok it's got 2 plugins on it right? just unplug the box for it and see? I'll do that tomorrow.

Honestly I wanted to do away with it anyways, i figure the dump valve is casuing the far pedal travel, but easy way to check, the page said unhook it from the lines, run it straight to the proportioning valve or mc, and see if the pedal is firm once it's bled the air from the system, if so bad dump valve, if not, bad MC.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a code 10 brake lamp circuit, my old man said the light that was on and said brake lamp or something.

The brake lights work though, I unplugged the box underhood and it works the same without having the light on.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
from what I'm reading online it's more then likely the brake light switch. it could need adjusted or be failing.