Brake light and turn signal problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob Kinsela

Reaction score
Let me start off and say I know this topic has been covered. Shoot, I even saw a post about it 3 days ago. But I'm not sure if he/she is having the same problem. I have a 1998 k1500. My brake lights are not working, tailights do. Third brake light was working until maybe 3 days ago, I'm guessing the bulb just died in that one, not sure if it's related. Have had the other two not working for a couple months. My right turn signal works as well as the hazard. However, the left side is not working. I have replaced all fuses and nothing. I'm thinking the turn signal switch may be the culprit? I'm assuming that the brake switch is fine since the 3rd brake light was working. Who ever. Wired the trailer lights in was by no means capable. It's a freaking mess under there. But it still illuminates the tailights on the trailer. Am I wrong in my assumption? Anyone have a better idea? My inspection is due at the end of the month and this is one of many problems I've put off as long as possible. Also, I replaced my shoes and drums and the pedal is mushy, I'm assuming its air. But once the pedal reaches a certain point the brake warning light illuminates then when I let off it goes off. Could this be caused by air in the line? Or is it more likely that a rear cylinder is not working correctly? Thank you in advance. About ready to set this thing on fire and roast some marshmallows. Been nothing but little problem after problem since motor swap.

Last edited:

94HDbigblock

Reaction score
I had the same problem in my 97 gmc no brake light no turn signal but trail light and hazard work for me it was the turn signal switch was bad