Brake goes to the floor and abs kicks in on turns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John916

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum as a member but have been using it for a while now. I have a 97 k1500 with the 5.7l I recently installed a leveling kit on my truck and during the installation I had removed one caliper but did not disconnect the lines as I did not need to. When I drove it for the first time after installing leveling kit, I was able to stop fine at the first light I went up to and then about 1/2 mile down the road my abs light cut on. When I went to stop again my pedal went to the floor and I had little to no brakes. I stopped and noticed the master cylinder(which was replaced with a new one in October 2016) was leaking around the resivour and where it mounts to the booster. I replaced the master cylinder and checked everywhere else for leaks but was unable to find any others. I bled the brakes multiple times and never had a single air bubble come out it was a steady stream of clean fluid every time. The brakes were slightly better but it still goes to the floor. Now when braking if the wheel is turned slightly then the abs starts kicking and the light stays on. I have replaced the front calipers and rotors, master cylinder, brake line running to the rear, abs module and proportional valve, and the check valve on the booster. I am unsure of what is causing this so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most likely air in the ABS system. You have to actuate it to bleed these trucks properly. You need to take it to a shop with a GM Tech 2 or equivalent scan tool that can tell the PCM to activate the ABS while you're bleeding the system. There are a couple of ghetto ways to do it like slamming the brakes on gravel and then bleeding and repeating that process several times, or basically the same thing but with the truck up on jack stands. Personally I'd just go to a shop with the proper tools.

John916

Reaction score
Most likely air in the ABS system. You have to actuate it to bleed these trucks properly. You need to take it to a shop with a GM Tech 2 or equivalent scan tool that can tell the PCM to activate the ABS while you're bleeding the system. There are a couple of ghetto ways to do it like slamming the brakes on gravel and then bleeding and repeating that process several times, or basically the same thing but with the truck up on jack stands. Personally I'd just go to a shop with the proper tools.
Okay I was just about at the point of taking it to a shop anyways. Thank you

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've never horsed around with bleeding the ABS pump. OP did you bleed the master before bleeding the system? If not then it sounds like you screwed yourself and got air in the pump. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get an eye in all 3 speed sensors for the ABS too. One may be wrong.

John916

Reaction score
I've never horsed around with bleeding the ABS pump. OP did you bleed the master before bleeding the system? If not then it sounds like you screwed yourself and got air in the pump. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get an eye in all 3 speed sensors for the ABS too. One may be wrong.
I bled the master cylinder but I'm second guessing myself that I got it all out. I am currently sitting in the truck and tried the rear end on jack stands and braking and my abs will not activate now but it will activate while going 10 mph barely braking and the wheel slightly turned. How do I check the speed sensors? I've spent the entire day messing with this truck and I'm about tired of it but I don't have the money to take it to a shop.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I believe it would. Go to the ABS section and make sure all 3 speed sensors match.

John916

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know what it ended up being, I was driving down the road in the pouring rain in traffic with a loaded down trailer and all of a sudden my steering went crazy and I lost all brakes pretty much. I was able to pull off the road and it we lifted the front of the truck up and my passenger side wheel was barely holding on by the cv axle. My wheel bearing had completely dissinigrated and started to eat away at my hub. The wheel speed sensor that was inside got messed up and that was what was causing the abs to keep going off. My brake caliper and rotor were loose as could be from the hub coming off so that's what cause the brakes to be so bad it seems.