Brake conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itzRagan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 1996 GMC C2500 and I'm wondering if there is a kit to convert the front rotors to just a rotor not a rotor and hub assembly made together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itzRagan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not specifically but I would like too. I'm having trouble finding an upgraded brake setup for this style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the brake setup, you can get good rotors and pads, but can upgrade many other things to improve braking, such as GMT800 master cylinder, RWAL delete, 3500 calipers, Hydroboost, etc. All are improvements, and all have threads on this forum

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The end-all brake mod would be GMT800 knuckles/calipers/rotors/bearings. These stock brakes suck ass and all adding heavier 400 stuff does is make it less bad.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The end-all brake mod would be GMT800 knuckles/calipers/rotors/bearings. These stock brakes suck ass and all adding heavier 400 stuff does is make it less bad.

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have an 8 lug since you said hub and rotor as 1 piece, but 2500's could be 6 or 8. 1 upgrade you can do is to replace your front brakes with 3500 DRW stuff. The dual rear wheel rotors are a 1/4" thicker than the 3500 single rear wheel and 2500 8 lugs. You'll also have to do the calipers to work with the thicker rotors, and use the matching DRW pads. Depending on your rear brakes, you may have some options there as well. If you have the 13" drums, you can always swap in a set of the DRW 1 3/16" wheel cylinders instead of the 1" or 1 1/16" ones that the stock 13" single rear wheel trucks came with. These upgrades make a NOTICEABLE difference in braking, but it still isn't going to be as strong as the newer brakes are, but it is ALOT cheaper to do than the newer stuff. Again though, without knowing what you have exactly, theres not much advice we can provide as GM used ALOT of different braking options.

itzRagan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is 6 lug.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always in favour of upgrading the brakes, cause you just never know when you might need to stop RIGHT NOW!

I don't have the answer to your question, but I am hoping someone else on the forum will just answer your question, instead of offering all the various alternatives that are available. Maybe you will end up choosing one of those, but it would be nice if you had an answer to the question of whether it is possible to get a separate hub/rotor assembly.

THEFERMANATOR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is 6 lug.

6 lug has the rotor slide over the hub from the outside. They don't get pressed togetehr with the studs like the 8 lug trucks to make an assembly. Theres still upgrade options using factory parts for them though.