Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I can't see your picture for some reason. I'd check your o2 sensors if it looks to be running rich. Can't remember if you have something to datalog with? Check fuel trims, ect sensor, etc.

Also, I can't remember for sure if there are any other oiling ports that are easy to get to. I'd just pull the sender and use that one. Or start pulling plugs until you find one that has oil?

I don't have anything to datalog unfortunately, and O2 sensors are on the list to be replaced.
That sender is going to be a pain in the ass to get at.

----------------------------------

And I know I'm probably overthinking, but is this a decent rebuild kit? I can't find anything on Summit for 96+ 454s, it's all TBI and carb'd engine kits.
http://www.titanengines.com/engine-rebuild-kit-96-00-chevy-gm-454-7-4l-w-hyper/

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
It won't cause any issues with the Amsoil would it? I thought about running Lucas conventional oil stabilizer if I stuck to Pennzoil, is the synthetic stuff that same way?

I'll be picking up a mechanical gauge from Napa tomorrow, is there a test port anywhere? And I'm more concerned about my driving/cruising pressure, does 40 PSI sound good?

You must be registered for see images attach

Picture of the culprit. Still haven't figured out the rich issue, old plugs were still in great shape, cap and rotor were fine, fresh plug wires. Any other suggestions? I was gonna try and reclean my MAF in case there was oil on it when I still had the K&N in the truck.
I use the synthetic Lucas with Amsiol 10w30 in my 6.0. Works great! The Lucas says it compatible with all oils, that's good enough for me! I think 40 psi is more than enough for driving/cruising speed. Again I've had several that wouldn't get over 40 no matter what you put in them or how hard you run it.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My burb runs all day at 40 psi except cold mornings its mayb 60. I'll have to check tomorrow what the idle is.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have anything to datalog unfortunately, and O2 sensors are on the list to be replaced.
That sender is going to be a pain in the ass to get at.

----------------------------------

And I know I'm probably overthinking, but is this a decent rebuild kit? I can't find anything on Summit for 96+ 454s, it's all TBI and carb'd engine kits.
http://www.titanengines.com/engine-rebuild-kit-96-00-chevy-gm-454-7-4l-w-hyper/

You're definitely over thinking it. 40 psi cruising it perfectly in the acceptable range. Really as long as pressure isn't dropping into the single digits you're fine. My truck runs 22 psi hot idle and probably 45 psi hot cruising, its pretty much been there since I rebuilt it.

Not sure if its any easier to get to, but there should also be some plugs around the oil filter that you could measure it at.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
You're definitely over thinking it. 40 psi cruising it perfectly in the acceptable range. Really as long as pressure isn't dropping into the single digits you're fine. My truck runs 22 psi hot idle and probably 45 psi hot cruising, its pretty much been there since I rebuilt it.

Not sure if its any easier to get to, but there should also be some plugs around the oil filter that you could measure it at.

I'll crawl around under there tomorrow and look, maybe I'm overthinking because I want an excuse to stick a cam in this thing....

my old motor ran at 17-18psi and 35-40 cruising just fine. Ive always been told the standard is 10psi per 1000rpm

That gives me a little comfort; like I said, I might be overthinking as an excuse to rebuild and stick a better Comp grind into it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a guy selling a torn down 454; block, heads, crank, pistons, and it's got me thinking; build an engine out of the truck, and then swap it in when the time comes.

That'd be a nice way to do it. Then, you could overhaul the old 454, and sell it, probably damn near break even on it all.