Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
You're not talking about this one, are you? The guy had it forever, I stopped and looked but there was no price on it. Hope he wasn't asking nearly that much. lol

Were you at the pick n pull last week? I feel like I've seen that Suburban recently.

You must be registered for see images attach

Does that one have one hell of a dent on the driver's side passenger door top? And is that thing really for sale!? My dad's been looking for a truck to pull our new camper with, if you could get a number I'll investigate,
And my Suburban? I'm up near Charlotte, so it probably wasn't me;

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
It's got a sunroof, bashed in rear bumper, and some rust issues, no idea on the door. I know the guy that bought it from the dealership that had it forever but no idea if he's trying to sell it now. I can ask him next time I see him.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
It's got a sunroof, bashed in rear bumper, and some rust issues, no idea on the door. I know the guy that bought it from the dealership that had it forever but no idea if he's trying to sell it now. I can ask him next time I see him.

Do you know anything else about it? The sunroof might be a deal breaker, all they do is leak;

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Do you know anything else about it? The sunroof might be a deal breaker, all they do is leak;
I thought it was a 350 but I'm not 100% sure. Seats have factory leather style covers on them that are wearing through, sagging drivers door, crusty frame. I think it's LS trim level so power windows, mirrors, locks, split bench, etc. I'd guess it's probably around 250k miles. Not a clean truck by any means but it'd be fine for a work truck.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I thought it was a 350 but I'm not 100% sure. Seats have factory leather style covers on them that are wearing through, sagging drivers door, crusty frame. I think it's LS trim level so power windows, mirrors, locks, split bench, etc. I'd guess it's probably around 250k miles. Not a clean truck by any means but it'd be fine for a work truck.

Yeesh; my dad's been looking for lower miled trucks like mine, 250K is a little high for him, and he'd prefer a 454 for pulling,

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Every time I try to update this I get distracted by something else on the forum.

No pictures, but I washed and compounded the truck yesterday, and it looked goooooood. I also tracked down the leak that started recently and discovered it may be my timing case cover. ****. Any other 454 owners know if it's difficult to get to? I read somewhere you need to drop the front dif but I can't remember.

Also thinking about a few junkyard upgrades for it, does anyone know if an S10 fan will fit the fan clutch? I know it does on the 350s, and I know the stock 11-blade fan on the 350 fits the clutch on the 454,

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Timing cover is as big an asspain as the small block. Gotta drop the oil pan so diff too. Mine is aluminum, so it's a $13 seal set.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory service manual (and 88GMCtruck on here) indicate the timing cover can be removed by removing the front oil pain bolts but leaving the oil pan in place, without removing the front diff. That's assuming you don't need a new oil pan gasket.
If you end up having to replace part of the oil pan gasket, you need to drop the diff.
If you need to drop the dif, make sure you have the steering wheel turned to one side or the other.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about doing the bottom half and fender flares with some sort of glossy dark color, but I also want to rocker-guard it to protect it...so conflicting...

My suggestion would be a nice charcoal grey metallic on the flares and along the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The factory service manual (and 88GMCtruck on here) indicate the timing cover can be removed by removing the front oil pain bolts but leaving the oil pan in place, without removing the front diff. That's assuming you don't need a new oil pan gasket.
If you end up having to replace part of the oil pan gasket, you need to drop the diff.
If you need to drop the dif, make sure you have the steering wheel turned to one side or the other.

I gave mine a yank and it didn't want to move with the pan in. I did my parents' TBI 350 van with the pan on and it came with the gasket pieces to splice in. Who knows if it ever leaked, they have a gravel driveway. I know I didn't want to pull any harder on the 454 because I wasn't sure of its material. I'm glad I dropped the pan though, the bearings absorbed some cam chunks so I changed those out too.