Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, well.
I need to quit finding motivation at the end of the day to do things.

Decided at 7:40 in the evening that now would be a good time to service the truck, so I ran into Autozone, got a K&N service kit and some MAF cleaner; tore into my truck and had everything cleaned and reassembled by 9:02, letting everything dry took the longest. It was probably past time for this seeing as how the filter was full of dust, pollen, and leafs as I was banging it out, and then muddy brown after applying the cleaner and hosing it out. MAF wasn't much better, dusty as hell and had a few little stems and **** in the screen.

It runs, SO much better now, throttle response is instant,
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I can't remember if it has been discussed in this thread, but you may want to ditch the K&N for one of the large factory paper filters. The K&N makes your MAF dirty, and it also doesn't filter as well as paper.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I can't remember if it has been discussed in this thread, but you may want to ditch the K&N for one of the large factory paper filters. The K&N makes your MAF dirty, and it also doesn't filter as well as paper.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I was going to, but the only parts stores around me had paper filters listed for 25-30 dollars, vs. $11 for the service kit, but I'll probably slap a paper filter in a little later down the road,

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought this up. I was gonna mention it but you beat me

I like that article, it is nice to be able to put some hard data to this issue.

I was going to, but the only parts stores around me had paper filters listed for 25-30 dollars, vs. $11 for the service kit, but I'll probably slap a paper filter in a little later down the road,

Do you drive on gravel, or in dusty conditions often? IF not you're probably okay for a little while (aside from that your MAF will need cleaning again), but if your truck sees much dust it is worth the $30 to protect the engine. Rock particles aren't great for cylinder walls.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I like that article, it is nice to be able to put some hard data to this issue.

Do you drive on gravel, or in dusty conditions often? IF not you're probably okay for a little while (aside from that your MAF will need cleaning again), but if your truck sees much dust it is worth the $30 to protect the engine. Rock particles aren't great for cylinder walls.

I mainly drive pavement, but I did go down some gravel roads today, nothing crazy though, I'll probably just swap the fresh filter out with a paper one and toss the cleaned K&N into my old Suburban that just sits around, any recommendations for a paper filter? Parts store only carries STP brand,

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
@BowtieBrody Man, your red truck is badass! I honestly love the short box extendo cab 3/4 tons. :D Very, very nice truck man! :)

Thanks! It's been a hellacious search that's taken me damn near all over NC, it took 4 months and 13 separate trucks to finally find this one!

I use napa gold, it's actually made by wix brand

Sold then, I'm wanting to convert the truck to Wix filters entirely, but none of the main line parts stores I go to carry them. Got a NAPA P/N?

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Thanks! It's been a hellacious search that's taken me damn near all over NC, it took 4 months and 13 separate trucks to finally find this one!
WOW! That is a lot of trucks! I think you have found the perfect truck man! Be proud and cherish it for life! :D :D