Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know on the powdercoat. 411 has always been the plan for this. I'll do that before upgrading the exhaust. And get some premium in the tank.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I guess buying an old ass truck can't be all roses and rainbows and ****. Every time I get underneath I'm reminded of the cleaning that's necessary, but every time I get behind the wheel I forget about that ****. That said, the truck's had a squeak all along that I've suspected to be idler pulleys. Well I confirmed that tonight and have 3 new idlers coming tomorrow, so easy kill there thanks Google for the update/superceded part numbers. Unfortunately, it does sound like that squeak was able to mask a top end/valvetrain noise that I failed to identify when buying the truck.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

**** me on that, I should have known better and I ate that ****. If it is a cam, it'll get an HO cam and whatever springs the truck needs to support it. Here's a cold video of the noise in question, you can clearly see the blower is not to blame as both belts are removed and it responds to RPM. I need to characterize it warm to decide if it'll make a trip an hour north dragging the half ton to get its frame fixed as there's only 1 of me and I'm still dying to hook something up out back.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll never find it if I can't kill this belt/accessory squeal. Yanked the blower belt and it still squealed, but seemed like a little less. Last night after removing both belts, ghetto greasing that one idler, and putting it all back together (flipping 2 of the idlers) the truck was dead quiet for almost 10 minutes, then the noise came right back and I swear it was louder. Installed 3 new idlers today and no change.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I came to the conclusion last night that the above is the only logical thing to do at this point. I know I have misalignment as the old idler was ate up a little on its far edge. I noticed that as I was changing them out last night. It wasn't a waste, they were all dry just not making noise yet. Just noticed from clicking the links that both are the same part number. That means the cheaper one is the one I buy.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Quickest thing to do is just pull both your belts and start the truck. Just don't run it long as you won't have a waterpump, but that will rule out any and all accessory drive items first, then install the engine belt after alignment.

On my truck the Power Steering pulley wasn't seated all the way (it's pressed on), the AC compressors was turned slightly, and both idler pulleys on the whipple bracket (main belt and whipple belt) were also off. I also had to space the crank pulley for the whipple as well. It was a pretty big ordeal.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm glad you chimed in, I was gonna PM at some point. It chirped less when I disconnected the blower belt, but it was definitely still there. Chirp is gone completely with no belts, but that's when I heard a tapping from the right head. I cut the oil filter open and found shavings, so looks like I'm in for a cam and lifters now. Hoo-*******-ray.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Go big or go home. I snagged this gem last weekend for $6,000. It didn't age until 4 years ago and it shows. Door handles are crispy, shifter has very pronounced clicks at every gear, the cupholders and sun visors snap into/out of position. Interior needs a cleaning, but it will clean up great and has very little wear. Front end was redone recently and shows, truck drives great and the paint that's there does have a good shine to it (minus the grille that's missing chunks which I found odd, but whatever). I'm sure it'll pass anything but a gas station, but without a payment who cares? This thing has torque out the ass, I can't imagine what it'll be like after exhaust and a tune. And I just found out it's filled with cheap gas which likely explains the crap top end. I drove an NA truck and that didn't fall off like this one does up top. This one was spotless with like 30k on the clock until 4 years ago, got discovered in an old man's garage with the blower and Torklift Super Hitch intact along with what seems to be a non-functioning onboard airbag compressor with obligatory bags. I'll have to look into that, hopefully it can be fixed for cheaper than the whole new shebang. Really opens up my ability to haul a big old slide in with my 24' enclosed. Judging by the 6+2 leaf pack though, I may not even need them. Here's a few pics, plan is to get the frame section welded onto the back that I'm missing so I can bolt up the stock bumper and Super Hitch, wire in a 7 pin, and clean/paint the whole rear frame section prior to sourcing and installing a clean dually bed. I'm also contemplating a utility bed to be able to store more stuff for the impending slide in, but undecided just yet. Oh, and yeah, those wheels have to go.

You must be registered for see images attach

Really needs a good steam cleaning underneath, but I see zero body rust so that's good. Also thought I had shots of the interior, but I don't so that's a bummer. It has an OHC and Suburban visors, just need to add the spare Homelink and DIC that I currently posess. ****** leaves 4 monster trenches in the dirt in case anyone was wondering. :D
It'll be a nice build that things got to have just gobs of power.