Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I could plug into your PCM and get it that way. 12.9 is a far cry from what I got the last tank, but then again mine shifts all retarded. Does your wait to upshift and then downshift for anything? I can't decide if that's the way mine is tuned or if it's the damn Whippletronics screwing everything up the way they intercept TPS and MAF and do God knows what with them.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have mine tuned to hold gears for longer than normal, so it'll stay in 4th-locked longer than factory would, and I have it getting into 4th at about 45 and locking at about 48 at low throttle position. And I remember the stock tuning liking to release the tcc for anything and downshifting a lot. What did you get on your last tank for mpg?

Also, where are you located? It'd be hard to plug in to mine, unless you get near SD often? haha

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I lived in Rapid City for a year, don't go back though. Mine will lock up before 50 but it won't hold worth a ****. I just don't understand the rationale, this thing has gobs of torque even NA but it never ever gets to use it because the slightest bit of throttle has it screaming at 4000 RPM. The small block trans tunes were decent in the half tons. The trans tune is the #1 reason I want the 411 in there now now now, ahead of the timing map that's neutering the top end pull. My only concern now is the amount of boost I'll be able to build before a downshift with a good trans tune. Remember with a draw through supercharged application that boost is directly proportional to your right foot and remains fairly constant (roots/twin screw) throughout the RPM range.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lived in Rapid for school for 5 years, I enjoyed being close to the hills, there was also quite a bit to do in town, so we had fun. There were aspects of the town I didn't like though.

And yeah you should see a very nice improvement in drive-ability by being able to maintain gear longer, that'll be especially awesome with boost. Make sure you up your line pressures and reduce shift times, that should help your transmission out.

How much boost did you make before the overhaul? I've been looking around at used superchargers lately, it will probably be awhile before I'm able to seriously look, because I get married this summer, but damn I would love to have some boost on my truck.

Would screenshots of any of my tuning parameters be useful? Excel file of my timing? I'm not sure how applicable the timing and VE tables will be since you are boosted.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No, your timing tables are in MAP and mine are in MAF. I have the base tune half baked anyway. Just need to give the trans section a look and calculate my injector flow rate and I suppose it'll be close enough to fire up (pending injector install). I'll wait to swap until I source a 2 bar MAP sensor though as I'm unsure how much help the MAF would be once the VE table pegged. I won't be running the 411 with the Whipple brain box and aux injectors.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Right now my main focus is to get it ready to take a bed (so I can snag one of the many sweet slide ins that keep popping up!). This requires splicing in the missing frame bits. I first cut a little more out because I didn't like the bolt holes being in the way of the weld path.

You must be registered for see images attach

Check out the frame thickness of 6 lug vs 8 lug!

My cut wasn't perfect. I was not impressed.

But I managed to weld air.

Then with a metal backing, I hit it again.

I'll grind it smooth, chop up a section of that half ton frame that came with my spare tire cross member, and weld that on the outside to beef up what's there for peace of mind. As you can see, the bumper brackets will play more nicely with that configuration.

Once I get that done, the spare tire hung, and the rear frame finished cleaned and painted, I'll swing up north and hopefully pull the trigger on this supposed "very nice clean dually bed complete" that this salvage yard is advertising in white. Then I can deal with the belt alignment and tune and finally enjoy the damn truck.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right now my main focus is to get it ready to take a bed (so I can snag one of the many sweet slide ins that keep popping up!). This requires splicing in the missing frame bits. I first cut a little more out because I didn't like the bolt holes being in the way of the weld path.

Check out the frame thickness of 6 lug vs 8 lug!

My cut wasn't perfect. I was not impressed.

But I managed to weld air.

Then with a metal backing, I hit it again.

I'll grind it smooth, chop up a section of that half ton frame that came with my spare tire cross member, and weld that on the outside to beef up what's there for peace of mind. As you can see, the bumper brackets will play more nicely with that configuration.

Once I get that done, the spare tire hung, and the rear frame finished cleaned and painted, I'll swing up north and hopefully pull the trigger on this supposed "very nice clean dually bed complete" that this salvage yard is advertising in white. Then I can deal with the belt alignment and tune and finally enjoy the damn truck.
I never knew there was a difference in the thickness of the metal on the frame between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton. So is the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton the same ? Thanks for sharing.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm bad about posting updates. I did do the left side and it came out better. I verified the outline while sober than I made while not sober prior to cutting, what a difference!

I then removed the shocks and airbags so I could clean both sides up to the shock mounts. I'm going to buy a media blaster to clean what the wire brush wouldn't reach. I'm sure you rust belt bubbas would lose your minds at seeing how clean the frame comes on this thing.

I also took another shot at the underside with my pressure washer. I cannot exaggerate just how much mud was caked under this damn thing. It was past ridiculous and downright negligent.

Then the muffler outlet caught my eye. The tailpipe is a compression bent 3" unit, but the exit from the muffler is decidedly smaller. What a ****** POS.

Oh, and that bed was ******* garbage. They wanted $1100 for a beat ass $500 bed. Bunch of ****** liars. Gonna order 4 new shocks and build some blocks to space the airbags to match the 1.5" block I have out back.