Borg Warner #4401 help needed .....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey Guy's ,
I upgraded my truck from a 1500 to a 1998 Chevy Cheyenne K3500 . So winters coming soon so I decided to change the transfer case fluid a 15 minute job but no ... It has a Borg Warner #4401 in it I saw two app. 1 3/16 plugs on the back side of it and assumed one was fill and other drop. Took the higher one out first to just check the level of it before dumping it with my ratchet and 2 quarts dumped out in my bin. After searching the world wide web it seems to be a question for one's with a 1 ton BG4401. Can someone make my day and tell me where I can fill this beast :) Thanks

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the BW tc's, but when you pull the top plug out of a new process and 2 quarts comes out it means your front seal is bad. Fluid from the transmission leaks past the seal and over fills the tc. Hope this isn't your issue but thought I'd mention it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the BW tc's, but when you pull the top plug out of a new process and 2 quarts comes out it means your front seal is bad. Fluid from the transmission leaks past the seal and over fills the tc. Hope this isn't your issue but thought I'd mention it.

That does make perfect sense. The tranny was down a couple quarts , just thought it was low. I wonder how much damage I did driving it with transfer case being two quarts overfull. App 2-3k miles and it did whine or hum sometimes... Bummer.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I doubt any damage was done. One of my farm trucks has this issue. Every couple years fluid starts blowing out the vent. I just drain it, top off the trans and keep driving.

Reaction score
I doubt any damage was done. One of my farm trucks has this issue. Every couple years fluid starts blowing out the vent. I just drain it, top off the trans and keep driving.

Did like you suggested , thanks. Still hear a humming noise from manual shifter for transfer case but gets quite after truck get warm. Hope it's not a pump whine ...

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did like you suggested , thanks. Still hear a humming noise from manual shifter for transfer case but gets quite after truck get warm. Hope it's not a pump whine ...
Ya It maybe worth having the TC gone through. I'm sure a borge warner replacement isn't as easy to find as a np.
If you find that it's transferring fluid quickly it will have to come out for a seal anyway.