Boosting a 350 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutcheh

Reaction score
Hello all,

I want to turbo my 350 Vortec but I am relatively new when it comes to boost.

I have seen that the Hoslet HX35 is something I have seen a few people slap onto these trucks. I grabbed a Holset HE351CW. Reason being that these turbos spool up a bit quicker the the HX35 from what I have read on the Dodge forums.

So I know some of the things related to the turbo that I will need, but I should build up the engine so it can handle the boost coming in.

What would someone with experience recommend to me for this. Note, this will be a daily so I'm not sure I'll need the stock 28lbs of boost it is currently set at prior to coming off of the Dodge, and I'm confident 28lbs is sure to break a lot of things.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to the build thread I created:

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/project-salty.35661/

Thanks for looking,

Hutcheh

Last edited:

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Typically unless your completely building this engine solely for that much boost and have a ton of machine work expensive parts and money in the bottom end you will never see 28lbs not destroy anything.

Something in the 8-12 lb range is doable with some bottom end work and will warrant a good seat dyno result. proper flow in and out will make that 8 lbs feel much more and give some decent numbers.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
That turbo is way small for a gas engine spinning double the RPM of a Cummins.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I have a buddy with a twin turbo 350 between the rails of a gmf400 on tons and military 39's. Its carb swapped and completely built top to bottom. The engine is probably worth more than the truck. You should have deep pockets and do a lot more research before starting this prokect.

Hutcheh

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I thought. 28lbs sounds really excessive and way more than what I need. I'm just looking to get a little more fun out of it. I have a wastegate off of another turbo that dials down the boost to a max of 15lbs.

If I'm going to build up the bottom end a bit, would it be worth throwing a stroker kit in?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I don't think you'd see 28 psi from it, the map is all out of whack for a gas motor lol. A diesel has way more cylinder pressure, at way lower RPM.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I have to agree with the above stated. A stock bottom end should hold 8psi just fine. When i toyed with turbos its was a 4.8 and i ran around 6psi for daily and 10 for fooling around. If it were my truck i wouldnt go over 10psi max with a stock bottom end, and even at 6psi there was a day and night difference to stock. my setup wasnt anything to brag about but i could outrun a efi live dmax any day and still got 20ish mpg but that was a LS. Im not sure how a stock 5.7 would handle a turbo, there are no upgrade options for the fuel injectors, other than mpfi which still has the stock flow rate, unless you go with a marine intake setup which is pretty costly. On top of fuel your going to need a 0411 pcm, cooler lines and a custom exhaust. Im not saying you cant turbo your truck, but it would be more benifical to mildly build an engine thats setup to run a turbo.

Last edited:

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
There are numerous sources for spider injector assemblies with higher than stock flow rates.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Wynjammer makes them, and I'm pretty sure Westers does also. Maybe I shouldn't have said "numerous", but they do exist.