Body lift questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trent1721

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Chevy 1500 4x4 ex cab. Is there any special tools I need to install a body lift? Also the rails that support the bottom of the bed are rusted out can I fix this or do I need a new bed? I would appreciate any replies.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
There's an entire thread on this but no no specialty tools just a basic set and a jack. An impact makes it easier. As far as the bed supports sounds like an east fix to me

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If your talking about what I think you are just cut the rust out and weld some new in

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
you will need a big floor jack and a 4x4 to cut to size to lift the body.

You will need a wire wheel on a drill to get the rust of the body mounts and you will want to spray them with rust reformer. You should plan on getting new body mount bushings because they will be trash. I run energy suspensions and they are great. You may want a blow torch to heat stuck bolts, forget penetrating oil because it will never work. If you want to do it by the book you will need to cut the column shifter rod and weld in an extension (auto). or you can do what most people do and just take it out and bend some of the kinks straighter to make it longer. I just wedged it in my tow hooks and kept bending it till I had enough extension. hope this helps.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
you will need a big floor jack and a 4x4 to cut to size to lift the body.

You will need a wire wheel on a drill to get the rust of the body mounts and you will want to spray them with rust reformer. You should plan on getting new body mount bushings because they will be trash. I run energy suspensions and they are great. You may want a blow torch to heat stuck bolts, forget penetrating oil because it will never work. If you want to do it by the book you will need to cut the column shifter rod and weld in an extension (auto). or you can do what most people do and just take it out and bend some of the kinks straighter to make it longer. I just wedged it in my tow hooks and kept bending it till I had enough extension. hope this helps.
Penetrating oil does work and he doesn't have a shifting rod his is a 97

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
It works for me, I just hose my bolts down daily the whole week before I work on something lol